Monday, October 5, 2009

GOT WOLF? Introducing "Marek's New World" by Renee Wildes


MAREK'S NEW WORLD by Renee Wildes



When park ranger Cheyenne Refferty's truck is disabled in a MT earthquake, she thought her day couldn't get any worse. Until she runs afoul of a demon from the ancient past - and the charismatic warrior sent to destroy it...



I'm a nature girl at heart - much more comfortable horseback riding through the woods than shopping in a mall. So when I heard about the Got Wolf? contest at the 2008 WisRWA Conference, I knew I had to pick a natural spot for my setting. "Rural fantasy" instead of "urban fantasy" - it's much more "me." I've taken several trips out west, across the Rockies, visiting Yellowstone, and knew that's where I wanted to go. Someplace wild and rugged, off the beaten path. Kootenai Nat'l Forest caught my eye. Love the name. Love the location. NW MT, almost Idaho. Almost Canada. Earthquakes? Check. Reintroduced wolf packs? Check. Tiny towns nestled within immense tracts of wilderness? Check. Perfect place to hide a werewolf civilization. And it came naturally to have a heroine as concerned about the state of the natural world as I was, so making her a park ranger with the forestry service totally worked. Who wouldn't want to preserve something that looks like this:

Marek never expected the future to be oblivious to the danger. The new world is a fearsome and wondrous place. His only ally is a beautiful white-wolf Shifter who makes him burn – and doesn’t understand a word he says. The demon killed everyone he loved. He won’t risk losing another.

Cheyenne’s never met anyone like Marek. Her family doesn’t trust him, but Cheyenne can’t stay away. She vows to help him, whether it costs her her heart – or her life.

There’s more to the demon than Marek realizes. But there’s more to Cheyenne’s powers and destiny than she suspects – powers that will shape the future of the Pack forever…

EXCERPT:
“Don’t move!” Cheyenne pointed her shotgun at the blood-smeared stranger as he stood and turned away from the prone body. Sister growled at the stench of the yellow-green goo that splattered the ground and the men. Cheyenne feared she’d come upon a murderer, but the raw agony in the living man’s eyes belied that. “What’s your name? What happened here?”

He frowned. Puzzlement clouded his gaze. She repeated her questions in every Native language she knew. Frustrated, her repertoire exhausted, she fell silent and studied him. Clad only in moccasins and intricately tooled leather breeches that buttered his muscular thighs, he stood tall and straight before her, covered in human blood and bits of that weird sulfur-smelling goo. Long raven hair tied back with a leather thong revealed a proud, almost raptorial visage, with piercing black eyes and a strong jaw. Native cast, but with an aristocratic edge that set him apart.

Used to fit men from the braw males of her own Pack, she still couldn’t repress a feminine shiver. This was without a doubt the most ripped man she’d ever seen. She wondered if he was some kind of soldier, doubtful with that hair.

Leave it to her to find a romance-cover-model-turned-ax-murderer in the middle of nowhere...
I hope you enjoy reading Cheyenne's and Marek's tale of love and adventure! For more info about me and my books, please feel free to visit me at:
http://www.reneewildes.net/

16 comments:

  1. Hi Renee,

    Your story sounds great! And the setting is beautiful! I'd love to visit there someday.

    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great. And I agree, the setting is breath taking.

    CC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great excerpt! I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm looking forward to reading this, Renee!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Breathtaking pictures--I can see why you chose the place for your setting. I look forward to reading your tale.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Renee,

    Love the pictures, can't wait to read this!

    Jaime

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks y'all! I LOVE ID & MT. Someday I'll have to drag my kids along for the trip! Hope everyone loves reading the book as much as I loved writing it! Thinking about writing a sequel w/Cheyenne's alpha older brother, Brady. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Best of luck with this one, Renee. The excerpt is great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the setting and the premis! Sounds like a must read to me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love our national parks and forests. This sounds wonderful, Renee.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Renee! Love the pics ! (And I love horses, had to sell mine when I moved to TX--how ironic is that????) Looking forward to the piece because I'm loving the excerpt!!!
    Autumn Shelley
    "Blood Moon"

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great setting for imagery in a book. It sounds wonderful to me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Renee. The pictures are such a nice touch! Love the storyline. Impressed by your use of the word "buttered" :) This is my kind of story!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love those pictures Renee. They are absolutely beautiful. I love that area too, although I have to admit to being partial to Glacier, but the Kalispell area of Montana is another area I wouldn't mind investigating! Awsome post!!! (and I am awaiting Brady's story... )

    Lill

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds sexy and fun! Perfect combination for me. Due out 10/16? (Sounds of piggy bank shaking...)

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  16. Here's to your piggy having lots of company!(LOL) I hope this story entertains and enlightens, Let's keep our wild places wild and the mysteries in life alive!

    ReplyDelete