Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Introducing Werewolves in London by Karilyn Bentley

Greetings from Texas where the rain is falling, the ground is saturated and all in all I think we've been getting more rain than a rainforest. And what does that have to do with my story? Well, nothing, really, just thought I'd mention it. :) What I'm really talking about tonight is how I came up with my story idea so you all can have a glimpse into my chaotic, um, I mean creative mind.

I clearly remember the night I decided to enter the Got Wolf? contest. The Hubster and I were sitting at an upscale pizza parlor when I informed him I'm entering this contest. Of course hubby's supportive, once we ordered the pizza. So the rest of the dinner I'm running through scenarios with The Hubster, trying to figure out a story line. The pizza being served brought an ah-ha moment: the heroine will be the werewolf, the hero will be a rancher whose herd is being eaten by our heroine. Conflict abounds! Great! Romances need conflict, right? Right. So now I have my story "bones" and can start writing. But two scenes in and I realize that the story is going in a whole different direction. Sure, the heroine still likes steak tartare fresh off the bone, but she's now stuck in a rescue operation when our hero's daughter is kidnapped. And the hero? Well, you'll have to read it to see what's up with him. Trust me, it's not what I thought of when I told The Hubster I had a story for this contest. :)

Here's an excerpt:

“Your dog doesn’t respect you.” Vonda reached down to scratch behind Sam’s ear. “I can help you with that problem, but I can’t help train him to herd. Do we have a deal?”
Tom took off his hat, scratched his head and slammed it back on as if to hold in steam. Judging from the color of his face, he should have let his hair wave free in the breeze. It might cool things off. One long finger pointed at Sam. One nicely shaped, work hardened finger. The list of things that finger could do to her body rushed through Vonda’s brain on fast forward. It didn’t help that the man whose finger provoked such lascivious thoughts was the best-looking thing in this little Podunk town.
Why was she thinking such thoughts? Concentrate, Vonda, concentrate! Last time she thought this way about a man she was in heat. Oh shit. Not again. No wonder Sam stuck to her like proverbial glue.
Wait. Tom’s mouth was moving. “...me?”
“Huh? I’m sorry, what did you say?” Good job Vonda, way to look stupid on your first visit with a client.
“I said, how can that dog not respect me?”
“Well, dogs see things differently than humans. If you don’t act like the alpha, then they assume they are the alpha. That’s what creates problems. That’s where I can help.”
“Yes, yes. I know. But I have other herding dogs. None of them give me problems. What’s up with that?” A frustrated green stare bored into her.
Men frustrated so easily. Humans in general. Ever see a canine with hypertension?
Sam licked her hand. Then she smelled it. The scent of a man. Not just any man. A man she wanted to mate with. A man about six four, with sandy blond, almost brown hair and green eyes. A man who stood less than three feet from her.
Damn hormones.
If she didn’t get out of here soon she’d lose any chance of ever being a dog trainer.

Hope you enjoy!
Karilyn
https://karilynbentley.blogspot.com

10 comments:

  1. A writer's job is never done. Brainstorming while you're eating pizza! Hey, I do that, too! :-) Great story idea, Karilyn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brainstorming is like a vision.... I happens everywhere - anywhere. Love the excerpt, Karilyn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Characters sometimes have their own ideas, don't they? That happens to me all the time. I love the excerpt, and I'm looking forward to reading the anthology!

    Helen
    www.helensheroes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay Karilyn! I love it!! It just goes to show that as writers we are constantly 'what iff-ing" all the time! I have one of those kinds of hubby's too, I'd be lost without him! Congrats!!
    Autumn Shelley
    "Blood Moon"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our characters take us on an adventure and we're only along for the ride. lol

    Thanks for sharing an excerpt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karilyn, kudos to your hubby! A writer needs a man who can deal with our weird (ahem) creative minds. Your hubby has my respect. Love the excerpt - can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gotta say I love it!!! And I guess men have a pizza gene as women have a chocolate gene (or salty potato chip gene). Great post!

    Lill

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the comments! My hubby is wonderful and supportive and I'm really lucky to have him. Can hardly wait for you to read this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post, Karilyn! I can so empathize with the character getting all distracted with the hero's looks/voice and suddenly realize she didn't hear the words...We have a local auto mechanic that's a major distraction. He's telling me about my brakes - and all I could do was drool while thinking "God, you'd look good in a kilt!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love that different direction thing when writing! Best of luck with your release, Karilyn.

    ReplyDelete