Friday, October 30, 2009

A Moment with Got Wolf Anthology 2 Heroine Dr. Karen Marshall of "Raven's Shelter" by Dariel Raye


Hi. I’m not really used to talking about myself much. Usually what I do is behind the scenes, but here goes. My name is Karen Marshall, and I’m a veterinarian. Most people don’t know it, but I’m also owner of a county “no-kill” shelter. I grew up in North Georgia, and my parents were pretty well off but I spent most of my time with pets. I guess that’s one reason I love animals so much. In fact, most of my money goes to running the shelter.

The guy I’m seeing, Ron, doesn’t understand. Actually, my co-workers say he’s a jerk. LOL. I guess they’re right, but he has his good points. He just doesn’t understand how important helping animals is to me. Come to think of it, he doesn't understand much about me at all. Anyway...

Yesterday, I found this gorgeous black wolf with the softest, clearest baby blue eyes you’ve ever seen. Can you believe they were actually going to put him down? Something that beautiful and intelligent? No way. I brought him home with me.

He turned his head like he understood everything I was saying. I named him Brutus. It was like he almost smiled at me. I couldn’t get him to eat anything though, and when I went to sleep he jumped out of the window. I wanted to kick myself for leaving the window open! I drove around for over an hour searching for him, but nothing. Absolutely no sign of him. I guess you’re wondering why I’m telling you about this, but I haven’t been able to think about anything else. I know. It’s like my co-workers tell me – “Doc, you can’t save ‘em all.” But I can try. There was something really special about this one, though.

6 comments:

  1. It's a great story Dariel!! I'm looking forward to the next one!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to sink my teeth into this story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post! I want to know more about this blue-eyed wolf. How beautiful is that? He sounds absolutely gorgeous.

    I'll be opening my copies of The Got Wolf? Anthologies this week! I've already read Volume 1(My Lord Werewolf and Blood Wolf) and Shadow State which is one of the Volume 2 stories. All awesome stories. Don't miss this collection!

    Callie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great teaser! And I loved your story!

    ReplyDelete