Friday, October 30, 2009

Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf? Not Me!

Got Wolf?

I must admit, if I had to choose, vampire or werewolf, I’m a “were” kind of gal. Maybe it was conditioning from an early age when I would watch Dark Shadows. I was always enthralled with Quentin Collins, the tortured son of vampire, Barnabus. And who could ever deny the appeal of Underworld's Michael Corvin. I always guess I loved the tortured hero. The vamps are usually beautiful, to me they’re the corporate guys of the supernatural world, the guys in the suits, not so with my were-pals, they're the rough, battered,hunky physical laborers, the guys in jeans and tight t-shirts, showing off those rippling muscles.
So, how could I resist these anthologies?

Each hero and each heroine—each story and setting—is unique. And the variety is amazing. There are werewolves fighting vampires, demons, Nazis and each other to survive in modern day.

Helen Hardt’s Blood Wolfe is an enticing tale of an orphaned werewolf, trying to find his origins and the woman who will be his mate, but there are witches, demons and vampires around...
In My Lord Werewolf Ria Ellis has crafted a regency about heroine known as The Cursed One—she’s buried three fiancés—will it take more than a mere man to break her curse?
Shadow State by Isabel Roman, set during the early days of the Nazi regime in Germany, is a great twist to the werewolf tales and uses the fact Hitler was obsessed with the occult and human experimentation as a backdrop.
Autumn Shelley’s Blood Moon creates world where were-creatures aren’t a secret, but rather an unwelcome part of society. Kate doesn’t like this inequity. When she rescues an injured animal she dubs “Rover”, she doesn't know he’s a werewolf and he really doesn’t like being called Rover.
Raven’s Shelter by Dariel Raye has a sinister group wanting to experiment on the werewolf community. In his wolf form, Raven has escaped, and a veterinarian has taken him to her home. Is the lovely Karen his salvation?
When a demon roams the earth, Marek, an ancient warrior, awakens to battle it. Luckily, he has the help of a modern day female werewolf, Cheyenne, in Marek’s New World by Renee Wildes.
Werewolves in London is a witty take on the “were” among us by Karilyn Bentley. Vonda is a werewolf working as a dog trainer. She’s never met another werewolf like herself until she moves to London--Montana. And she’s met a nice rancher, she just hopes he doesn’t find out she’s the one who’s been eating his cattle every full moon...

5 comments:

  1. Mallary, thank you for the great review of the anthologies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi All! It's a great review and I thought I would take a moment to discuss my heroine, Kate, from "Blood Moon".
    Mallary's right, in my work were's (and others) are 'out', but the entire world isn't joyfully embracing them. There is a lot of fear, a lot of prejudice and more than a few 'reactionaries'. I think as a writer it's important for us to look at our own worlds and using our craft, teach the lessons we want to teach. In Kate's case, she was aware of the social prejudices against Logan and his kind, but she remained separate from it. She still had her own fears and concerns when brought face to face with her reality, but she made choices...you'll have to read it to decide for yourself what those choices were. >grin<

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for a great review Mallary! I'll copy Autumn and take a moment to discuss my heroine, Vonda, from Werewolves in London. Orphaned as a baby, Vonda never realized she was a werewolf until she changed for the first time. Rather a shocker. All her friends had visits from "Uncle Charlie", while she had the Big Bad Wolf come calling. :) Despite not knowing where she came from, she's done pretty well. Moving to London, Montana was the best thing for her b/c it's there she meets Tom, the sexy rancher. But all is not as it seems when Tom's daughter is kidnapped. You'll have to read it to find out her HEA. >grin<

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just started reading Taming of the Wolf today at lunch. I'm only on the first story-- Isabel Roman's story, Shadow State. I'm liking it so far. :)

    Nice reviews for all of you- congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mallary,

    What a wonderful tribute and review to this series. Thank you so much for posting it! I couldn't have said it better myself:)

    Hugs,

    Callie Lynn

    ReplyDelete