Monday, November 30, 2009

Why Bother Blogging?


Blogging is the new way to reach out to readers about your books, contests and news. It builds credibility and creates a readership devoted enough to return again and again. Sure you may never gain movie star status, but you’ll find people who enjoy your writing and have a positive association with you.


Your goal when creating a blog should attract the audience who will be interested in your books. The information listed on your blog will give the reader a chance to experience your writing style. Allowing the reader to make comments on your site is also a benefit. It gives the reader a chance to know you and actually have a conversation. It’s a way of introducing yourself with the willingness to be a friend. They can ask questions and know they will receive an answer. Write about what makes you an author and topics pertaining to your books. You also want to keep your blog fresh and updated. Be passionate about your topic and readers will return to see what you have to say next week. Let the readers see the personal side of you.

Blogging is also free advertising. Search engines will pick up on your blog when a person looks for similar interests posted on your site.

The business of being an author isn’t just having your brilliant story in e-book and in print. You must promote your work. If no one knows who you are, how do you expect a reader to find your book? You don’t have to be a public speaker to have your own blog. I personally don’t like public speaking. A blog gives me another option to talk to readers without feeling pressured.

How do you set up a site? You don’t have to be a computer guru to have your own blog site. There are many blogging sites with step by step information to help you along. I set up my blog with Blogger and use Google with RSS feeds. The RSS feeds are like long arms reaching out to your target audience. The search engines love blogs and RSS feeds because they offer feedback.

Now that you have your blog, here are a few other ways you can promote your Blogging Site. Include your URL address in your signature file and send it out with each of your emails. Add it to your business cards, bookmarkers and promotional material. Let your yahoo groups know you have a blog and list the new topic for the week. I'm not sure leaving your blog URL on asphalt is the best idea, but the person has the right idea. Promote, promote promote. :)

What’s your next topic going to be?
http://kmnbooks.blogspot.com/

20 comments:

  1. Hi Karen,
    I have to say, I'm the world's worst blogger when it comes to keeping my own blogs updated, but I love to guest blog. LOL This is a great post--and it sure points out all the reasons why we SHOULD blog. Lord, I just wish I had about 100 hours in each day. My days always run out before I'm done with what I need to do. But blogging is going to have to be more of a priority with me. Thanks for the kick in the pants. LOL
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advice, Karen. I definitely am not a public speaker, so guest blogging to connect with readers is right up my alley. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, Guest Blogging is a wonderful way to connect. Thanks for coming by Cheryl and Stacey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My next blog, which I just posted is about my December Gifts promo for my upcoming release. After that, I'm hosting a slew of writers this month. Hosting others is a great way to bring people to your site.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emma,
    I find it fun to have a guest author. I love learning about what's new. :) I'll be stopping by your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I blog too much, but I love it. There is a certain thrill to knowing your comment makes a difference. Commenting gets you to know people.
    I love visitors at my blog too.
    And visiting someone else's blog is sometimes very rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a horrible blogger as well. I go in spurts. First I write almost every day for a week or two and then I start to fizzle out and write once every month or two. It can be so sad and the longer I leave it, the harder it is to return to it because I feel awful about not writing in it. Still, my goal is to start blogging more and Emma, I love your idea on guests. When I was blogging for a site, I had no problem inviting guests onto it but never once thought of it for my own blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really good points, Karen. Thanks for writing this blog. :)

    I'm terrible about keeping my own blog current, but good at group blogs. I belong to two: Texty Ladies and Unusual Historicals. Both are good, dynamic sites, but I could never do it alone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Jacquie. :)

    Working with others on a blog is perfect for people who don't have a lot of time, too. This way there's a few people sharing the responsibility of keeping the blog going.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need to find time to blog more. It's something I would like to do, but I just don't feel it right now. I'm getting a lot written on books right now though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sara,

    Thanks for stopping by. Time--we could all use some more of those precious seconds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've wanted to set up my own blog for a while, but can't figure out where I'm going to get the time to write anything for it. How do you find the time, away from your novel writing, to do this on a weekly basis? I already feel like I'm falling behind on what I should have done on a daily basis. The thought of adding to my weekly "have to" list is scary! I did enjoy yours though :)

    Missy Martine
    missymartine@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  13. Missy,

    Thanks for stopping by.

    Actually, I write my blog entries when I need time away from writing my WIP. It gives me a fresh start when I go back to it.

    I open word and save the blog entries in a file. When I'm ready to use them, I just copy and paste them into my blog.

    Ideas for blogging: If I have a new release, I talk about that. If I went somewhere to research the story, I share the information. Running contests is good, too. Blog about traditions of the season. Halloween I talked about vampire movies and ran a poll on who was was their favorite vampire. It doesn't have to be fancy or long. Actually short blog entries attract me more than long ones. Talk about something that interests you. You'll be more passionate about the topic. Did you find a great research book or a new research site that would benefit authors? You could chat about that.

    Having guest authors is wonderful, too.I love learning about new reads and how the authors came up with the idea. I like behind the scenes and I hope the readers will, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Karen,

    WONDERFUL article, and the comments have been very informative too. I've thought about Blogging but like some of the others, I just cant seem to find the spare time. I had four books Released last year and that kept me too busy to do much else. Still, I think Guest Blogging is the best way to go for me at the present time.

    Again, THANKS for such a great article! It really gave me thought....!

    hugs, Kari Thomas
    Paranormal Romance Author www.authorkari.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad this month is about balance. I wrote about balance but can't find it myself. I didn't even mention blogging! I don't do it enough, and I'm an anti-social blogger. I'm still tying to figure out why anyone would want to read my blogs. Most people don't listen when I talk, and I talk all the time. lol! And guest blogging? I'm still trying to figure that one out.

    I always though a blog was like an online diary you let other people read...but having other people write in your diary?

    Okay...got to figure this out....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kari,
    Thanks for stopping by--you busy girl!
    Four books released this year--goodness. I have some catching up to do. :)



    Lilly,

    I think of blogging more like a talk show on the web. lol Okay, there isn't an immediate response, but with RRS feeds you can follow along and respond to what's going on.

    It's fun to have a guest and be able to ask questions and have the readers come by to say hi, too. If you want to be a guest author on my blog, Lilly, let me know. Then you can see first hand what it's like. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'd love to give it a shot closer to my release date so I'll feel more like a "real" author. lol! Right now, I'm still feeling a bit like a kid playing dress up in her mama's new shoes. It just doesn't feel real yet. Know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I know exactly what you mean. With my first release, I was sure it was a dream. lol

    The offer's open. So when it's closer to your release date, drop me a line.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great points - we do need to promote our work. I am a reluctant blogger, but I blof on a fairly regular basis, to keep my name out there! Great post, thank you.

    ReplyDelete