Saturday, December 19, 2009

Christmas Lists

I’m a list maker. My memory isn’t what it used to be (thanks to my kids) and being able to put my thoughts on paper is a huge weight off my shoulders. I have the To-Do list for Real Life and for Writing. There’s always something I should work on. Not everything needs to get done right away and if I want something to distract me from the Work in Progress - there is something to do.

Christmas brings even more lists. There is the To-Do List (Decorate, Christmas shop, Send Christmas cards, etc.), there is the Who-to-Buy-For list, and there is the Food-to-bake list (parties and gifts.) Then there is the Dreaded-List (more commonly known as the Santa List.)

I’m in charge of the kid’s wish lists: sending them to grandparents, aunts and uncles and most important making sure no one overlaps presents. Then there is my wish list. Its simple – Gift Cards to booksellers. Easy, but I feel guilty. Like I'm asking for money. But honestly books are what I want. I read a lot and as a kid no one ever bought me the titles I asked for. Only the ones they thought I should read. I’d much rather be able to choose my own stuff. And with gift cards, I can use it on books throughout the year.

What about you? Do you have problems creating a Santa List? Do you ask for books (gift cards) as presents?

9 comments:

  1. Book seller gift cards are one of my favorite gifts too, Beth!

    I'd rather ask for a gift card than ask people to track down certain books. Plus, how do I know what they planned to spend? It's so much easier the gift card way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, but I still feel guilty somehow. But I always take them.

    This year, I asked my parents to split their gift to my oldest son. He likes to spend 'his' money on stuff. So they are giving him a toy and a gift card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gift cards work for me, too. As the kids get older, it's easier to give them a gift card. They love to go shopping.

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Karen - Yeah, kids do like to spend money. ;)

    Happy Holidays and safe traveling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beth, I am in awe of you! To be so organized is something I only fantasize about. Gift cards to booksellers are my favorite, too, and I agree, kids love to pick out their own gifts, especially as they get older.
    Thank you for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Julianna - I wouldn't say I'm totally organized. For the last three months, I've made lists but have rarely done any of the items on them. Other things have popped up and taken precedence.

    But I feel better knowing I have something to look at and know what I could be working on. It's more a security thing for me. And it helps calm me, so it's good.

    Happy Holidays

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gift cards and cash work the best, LOL If I sound a bit like Sally on Charlie Brown forgive me but I find the older I get the better me choosing the gift is, LOL

    We don't really exchange these years as we are all older now.

    I loved the list post, Beth. I'm a list maker as well. I'd never get anything done nor have the necessities if I didn't write them down.

    Happy Holidays!

    Dayana~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anyone who knows me knows that a BN gift card is the perfect gift ;).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dayana - Thanks about the post. I always wonder if I'm out in left field sometimes.

    We've cut down on a few gifts as well. But the kids always get stuff (cousins, nieces and nephews, etc.)

    Happy Holidays.

    Helen - Yep Gift Certificates are great. And I always use mine up.

    ReplyDelete