Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Courage Doesn't Always Roar

Christmas is almost upon us and another year about to wind down. People often think of Thanksgiving as the time to reflect upon all the things they are thankful for. Though I love Thanksgiving and the family togetherness it brings, Christmas has always been the special time for me. For as long as I can remember, it was a magical time even when our family was struggling and there was little money for gifts. Still, my earliest memories are of laughter and joy, of family and hope. No matter how difficult the year might have been, no matter how many struggles littered the path, nothing dampened the joy of Christmas.

This morning, I sit with my latte (in a lovely Christmas mug of course) and gaze upon our Christmas tree. In our house, it's not simply a decoration, but a tree of history and memories. Every ornament that adorns the tree represents a year of my life. For over thirty years, my parents have presented me with an ornament each Christmas. There's the the ball with Santa and Mrs. Claus noting my first Christmas as an adult. There's the teddy bear for baby's first Christmas to celebrate the birth of my son. There's the crystal heart representing the love of my family the year my divorce was final. There's a handmade ball of beautiful blue and gold for the year my new husband and I celebrated our first Christmas together. There's Santa on a Harley picked out by Dad (even though he was appalled we'd bought his and hers motorcyles), the last ornament he gave us before he passed away. Each and every ornament tells a story. Some happy, some sad, but all a piece of my heart. Whether it was a year marked by great joy or a year that required quiet courage to make it through, the Christmas tree reminds me how blessed my life has been and I am thankful.

So now that the latte is gone and the sun is beginning to shine outside my window, it's time to power up the laptop and write. May you find find joy and happiness in this holiday season and may your creativity flow.

Sheri
http://www.sherilewiswohl.com/

1 comment:

  1. I love the title of this post! May I use it for a character?

    ReplyDelete