Sunday, December 6, 2009

Dealing with hectic days

Hello, everyone. I hope you’re having a wonderful holiday season! I love the advice given here by others on managing time. I guess I’ll take a different approach.

As a fan of history, I recall reading how back in the days before modern technology, people were so busy just surviving: growing their own food, making their own clothes, and falling into bed exhausted every night. Nowadays, with all our technological help, you know, microwaves to cook food in seconds that once took many minutes, washing machines…the list goes on, why are we still running around like wild, falling into bed exhausted every night?

I take the bus then the train home from work in the evenings. People often have their laptops open doing work on the ride home. Years ago, before cell phones and portable computers, people could at least escape that for a few minutes and read a good book or the paper or gaze out the window and relax. They still can, of course, but many don’t.

Have we created more work for ourselves because our ancestors had to do it, and it’s in our blood? Do we need even more technological doodads to free up our time? Well, we are just as busy, perhaps, because now we focus on so much more than just survival.

I work in a private reading school during the day, and I don’t drive. In the evening, I walk to the bus station, take the bus, and then walk to catch the train. Once I'm off the train, I’ll either walk home, or my husband of twenty years will pick me up. My daughter is in college, so I'm less busy than when I used to home school her back when she was small, but now, I'm a writer and editor as well. I'm also a musician, but when I pick up the guitar or play the piano, I use it to soothe the day’s stress away.

Here is what I’ve learned from personal experience, and it’s kind of ironic. Life is exhausting, and to keep up with it, you must schedule in some kind for physical exercise to have to energy to be equal to the task. It’s a bit funny to think about: exercise to get energy; it’s strange. But whenever I slack off and get off the exercise routine, I get even more tired. Sometimes, I have to break it up into ten-minute increments a few times a day due to time restraints: a brisk walk, a quick jog, or lifting the dumbbells I have on the floor near my desk. I’d walk the dog if I had one, but I belong to a cat family. My daughter and I would go on walks together as she was growing up. It was a nice time to chat about her day.

I use those stretchy bands as well or do a few crunches. It helps to work off that chocolate I can’t keep away from. Small things add up when it comes to exercise. Take the long way around to the kitchen…

A yoga move or two helps as well, relieving stress in the back, and clearing the head. Bending over at the waist and touching your toes while taking a deep breath is helpful. Take a breath to fill your lungs every hour if you can remember to; it will oxygenate your blood. I drink water all day too and sometimes have a cup of green tea. Little things to boost energy help.

So once you manage your time, do a little something for yourself to give you a little extra energy.
-Warmest regards, Corinne M.

4 comments:

  1. Exercise does give you energy. Stretches work for me. Playing with my little dogs, too.

    Good advice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ironic, but the more technology advances to make our lives easier, the more it seems to complicate things. Do you ever wish you could turn back the clock to simpler times?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post came at the perfect time. I have been trying to impress upon my children that there is life beyond technology. There are times that I wish we could turn back time to simpler times. At the same time though I have to admit to embracing technology with open arms. But as you said it was all in the balance.

    ReplyDelete