Sunday, December 6, 2009

Finding Time and Balancing a Busy Schedule

Hi everyone! As the holidays come speeding like meteors at us, I wanted to share with you my tips on time management. First, let me say I am very lucky to have several wonderful writing friends and we all work together on cross promotion and supporting and motivating each other, but there are many things we can do ourselves to make our dreams as writers come true.

1st - Don't let anyone tell you that your writing is not important, that it will never amount to anything. If you have a story to tell, don't ever let anyone discourage you from writing it down.

2nd - Make time EVERY DAY that is your writing time. We all have family and many of us work full time, but making time to write is not immposible. I don't particularly care for early mornings, but I know if I want to write, I must make that extra couple of hours in the morning. If you really want something, you will make sacrifices to get it - turn off the TV and write after the kids are in bed or get up extra early. But do it on a regular basis - make writing a habit.

3rd - Join a writers group - your local RWA chapter and attentd the meetings. Again I am very lucky to belong to such a talented RWA chapter, and we have some excellent workshops. These workshops will not only help you improve your craft, but you will meet other people with the same dreams as you, and it is great to have people around you who can inspire you to do what you love.

4th - Never give up. It's never too late to start writing - or to start again. Don't lose sight of your dream, and remember, you are writing for YOU - your passion and don't let life get in the way of your passion.

Just a quick sharing of our favorite holiday tradition. We love to adopt a couple of soldiers over the holidays and send them care packages. Even in peace times there are young men and women stationed all over the world looking out for our country, away from their families. We love to let them know them they are remembered.

Happy Holidays, everyone! May yours be safe and filled with happiness.

Until next month....
Julianna
http://churchofthedamned.blogspot.com/
http://www.juliannasagewrites.com/

14 comments:

  1. Julianna: Great post! I need to put each and every step to use every day. Very good points to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lorlei and thank you for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julianna,

    Wow awesome blog...and I have to agree with what you said. The 4th is my favorite suggestion. NEVER GIVE UP.

    Hawk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Juliana,
    As the mother of a daughter living overseas with her military husband, I want to thank you and your family for remembering our military families, especially at this time of year. I saw my daughter in October, but she will not be home for the holidays. She made it home last year, but not in 07, so this will be the second Christmas she's missed. It doesn't get any easier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Hawk. I have to remind myself sometimes of #4, LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lilly, I have a son in law in the air force. I see all those young men & women making so many sacrifices for all of us the sacrifics their families, and I just can't help but want to make their lives a little better. Thank you for your response, I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julianna,
    You have hit on the most important things we as writers need to remember. Not only are family and social commitments important but so are our dreams. We tend to spend so much of our time taing care of others that we sometimes ignore that muse that is constantly pushing at us to set free.

    Keep up the good work.

    Pixie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the response, Pixie. It's true, we, especially women, tend to put our own dreams last. Take care!!!

    Jules

    ReplyDelete
  9. Julianna,
    This is all excellent advice. I just met a woman today who said she's always wanted to write children's books but didn't know where to start and was afraid to have anyone read her stuff because they might not think it was any good. I think we all have been down that same road at one time or another and finding a supportive writing group is essential in this business. I'm very grateful to be part of such a fantastic Chapter and a member of the 'Sisterhood'.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the support, Kathy, and I'm so glad we are part of the same sisterhood!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wonderful post Julianna!

    In a former life I used to host Airmen who were away from home for the holidays. Always ened up being a rousing good time and nice to share with others who were missing family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved your points to remember. Great post.

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lil, thats' a wonderful tradition! And it sounds like a lot of fun. Those airmen can be a rowdy bunch.

    ReplyDelete