Monday, March 29, 2010

Happy Spring from:



 


 





When I was younger I can remember sitting in a classroom sweating bullets I was going to be the first one picked to stand up in the front of a room and read aloud… aka public speaking… what I’d written. Didn’t matter that I knew hands down I had the best paper out there or the funniest and that it was probably the only one with every other word spelled atrociously wrong, nope, just that I had to go put my baby up for public scrutiny. Not to mention little old moi.

Well, all I can say I am a survivor of trying to squeeze every inch of my body behind a podium and pretend all the people staring at me, waiting for me to flub up were naked. For the record that old trick really doesn’t work. Nor did making myself invisible to the class. What I need to get across is that I did it, stuttering throughout the entire paper and tossing lunch after too. I was able to present my work to the public. If they’d only had Xanax back in the day! Hmmm…

But ya know what’s worse than being first? Being dead last. Everyone’s already had all the great ideas. Told all the really cool stuff, hit all the angles on the topics you intended to touch on. Then what? I believe the word my brain is searching for is improvise J which is what I’m all about today.

Recently, my book-my baby, I gave her freedom and she stood on her own. She is now out there on a shelf with others just like her. With the exception of the 2 copies in my kids rooms. Those are collecting dust :( I won’t go there.

Anyway, in a very round about way what I’m getting at is this. If you’re going to write a book you have to toss self inhibitions out the window.  And along with that chuck out the outright panic that consumes you just before you go to an agent/editor panel to sell your baby. On occasion alcohol works wonders… I’m just saying!

That is the first place you get to really practice selling and promoting your book. If you can sell it there, you can sell it anywhere…. I know I sound like I’m gonna break out in a  song and dance right now.  New York, New Yorkkkk!

Lets face it, that’s honestly the hardest work we as writers do and it also causes the most stress.

But lets jump this hurdle and move onto the next. You’re now a published author and it just doesn’t get any cooler than this. Unless ~ God forbid ~ no one buys your book.

So, what I’ve compiled is this. I’ve read most of the other posts and all had excellent ideas and suggestions so I will not waste any more time weighing you down with the sos. This is my take on promoting your work….This is what happens when you’re the last straggler picking at the leftovers.

Talk. Talk like you’ll never get another chance to voice your opinion again. Talk to people in the lines in the market. Got anything better to do while ya wait for the lady with 200 coupons to check out? Sit next to someone in a waiting room reading and flash a copy of your book their way.  Run a philibuster. Stand up in a meeting and graciously say, “Have I got news for you guys!” Tell every exciting attribute your story has. Play up your heroine, make people want your hero more than their partner. Just don’t give away the end of the book… I’ve already done that once. Not my brightest moment!

Get your web site up and running….Ok, so God may have the upper hand on me this time. He created the world in 7 days. I designed my web site in 3 years. But its done. Cost me an arm and a leg, but I love it.

Twitter away the day is all I’m gonna say. This I have yet to master and so far it’s been a disaster.

My Space, Face Book, cyberspace ~ get in the race. Don’t let the momentum go to waste.

Blog hop like your back in school going from one social event to the next. Schmooze away baby. Read other author’s works. Support local authors and those in your clubs and organizations. Help promote them and hopefully they’ll return the favor.

Chat rooms ~ drop in. Enter some contests or better yet have one. People love~love~love free stuff.

Trailers ~ something I’ve yet to do and want to. Yes Sky, I still have all the info, just not the time…yet. This weekend I’ll start putting it togetherJThank you!

Radio talk shows and Newspaper adds and the RWA adds are fabulous ways of getting to the masses. A little deep in the pockets, but some things are worth an investment.

And last but not least, my favorite way of getting the word out ~ bribery. It works like a charm. Ask my kids. Got ‘em working the streets better than pickpockets.

Seriously!

I hope this helped. Being almost dead last in the month one tends to get slim pickins on what to talk about. Or, I could say we saved the best for lastJ

Good night. God Bless.

Jack

3 comments:

  1. Excellent post, Jaclyn. I love your sense of humor! Keeps me smiling. :) Especially like your advice about sitting next to someone in the waiting room and flashing your book at them. I pulled that trick on a plane!

    Eden's Black Rose sounds wonderful!

    Hugs,
    ~Sky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sky. How are you?

    My neice called me a few weeks ago to tell me she was at her doctors appt and reading my book and laughing and women kept asking her about the book. 4 different women said they were going to get it.
    There's something to be said for a captive audience:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Better late than never, life's been crazy here. I'm good!

    I can't wait to see how your book's going to take off. Sense of humor? Understatement!!!

    A captive audience is everything. Eden's Black Rose well deserves it!

    Hugs
    ~Sky

    ReplyDelete