Monday, March 15, 2010

Learning About Promotion

I’m a new author and being such I’ve had to do research to learn how to promote my book. However, there’s no perfect instruction manual and you have to test things out to see what works for you. The best way to do this is to find a method with which you are most comfortable. Generally, we authors fall into two categories, introverts and extraverts. The shy vs. the outgoing. In today’s internet age, it’s become easier for the authors to talk to strangers about their books, making it easier to promote.

Social networking is one method for getting your name and your book out there for others to see. This is something I like to do and it’s fun to meet new people and create new friendships. And I’ve discovered many authors online where in traditional bookstores I might never have come across them. Facebook and MySpace are both popular social networking sites, as is Twitter.

Being that I’m a newbie, and still learning as I go about this, I thought I’d recommend some reading material to those interested in learning more about book promoting.

Christina Katz’s book, Get Known Before the Book Deal, is a great place to start and my favorite promotion how-to book. In this book she emphasizes that it’s never too early to start promoting yourself and your book. She also talks about important topics for promotion such as creating an author platform. She shares excellent tips for taking advantage of all areas of the internet plus what you can do in your own hometown to get your name in the public eye.

For those introverts who want to stay strictly online to do their promoting, I’d suggest Plug Your Book by Steve Weber. It’s all about online book marketing for authors. He explains the importance of a website presence and discusses blogging, including blog platforms and blog tours. He also talks about Amazon, Google and other ways for people to locate your book online.

Another book is The Web-Savvy Writer, Book Promotion with a High-Tech Twist, by Patrice-Anne Rutledge. This book explains how to plan your website, what should and should not be included in it, and how to advertise your book with radio, podcasting, and videos such as vlogs and book trailers.

One other book is the Guerrilla Marketing for Writer’s: 100 No-Cost, Low-Cost Weapons for Selling Your Work by Jay Conrad Levinson, Rick Frishman, Michael Larsen, and David L. Hancock. I have this particular book on order, so I haven’t read it yet, but I’ve heard it’s highly recommended for author’s promoting their book on a budget.

I hope some of these reading suggestions are of interest to you and I’d enjoy hearing any other helpful tips for promoting books.

I also invite you to join me in my social networking endeavors:

Twitter
Facebook
MySpace
Linkedin

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Tricia! Great recommendations! And don't forget our own local RWA chapters. I'm fortunate enough to have two wonderful chapters at my disposal, Austin TX and Waco Tx and I love them both. They are as much a source of potential readers as they are support network, shoulders to cry on and empathetic ears!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea, Autumn! It's nice to have such wonderful support available. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an excellent post, Tricia! I can't wait to check out the resources you listed.

    I'll be sure to pass this on to my writer friends...

    Cheers, Ash

    ReplyDelete