Saturday, March 20, 2010

Virtual Touring



When I started writing, I thought the plan was pretty straight forward. You write, you edit, you submit, you cross your fingers. What I didn’t know was that following that all important contract, you’re introduced to something else entirely. It was something I wasn’t prepared for, and as someone who isn’t very good at talking about herself or her work, I found the concept terrifying.

I’m talking about promotion.

Initially, I did the usual things. I started a blog, I joined yahoo groups, and I started making friends in the community. It wasn’t until my first story released that I fully began to grasp how important it was to get my name out there, market my product, and get to know the readers. Without doing those things, the story didn’t sell. Fortunately, I discovered one way to promote that allowed me to branch out, enjoy myself, and spread the word.

Virtual tours are fast becoming the new wave of promotion. You visit blogs, speak to authors, and get to know readers of different genres and varying interests. It’s a fast-paced and exciting way to get to know people, allowing you to stretch beyond the chaotic and sometimes confusing world of loops and chats.

While there is more than one company to choose from, my personal experience has been with Goddess Fish Promotions. They’ve hosted my paranormal tour and urban fantasy novel, and will be doing the same for my release, Crimson Moon, with The Wild Rose Press. As a bonus for being a LASR / Whipped Cream reviewer, they extend a discount to those who tour with their books. Or if you don't have the time to review, just by becoming a Goddess Fish host, you get a discount as well. It’s a win-win, especially when you're trying to find new ways to get your name out there.

I hope all of you will join me in June when Crimson Moon kicks off. I’m looking forward to sharing more of my story and getting to meet new people. Already, I'm working on guest blogs and trying to think of prizes.

So tell me, have any of you gone on a virtual tour? What was the experience like? Did you enjoy it? And if you haven't tried one, do you plan to in the future?

Happy Writing!

Jaime

5 comments:

  1. I haven't done an 'official' tour but I have set up a string of blogs to launch a release. I've also followed a few people on their tours.

    I enjoyed most of the tours I've followed an author I've liked. But some did run a bit long. (Over two months) There is only so much time in a day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Beth,

    My tours were 10 visits each (two weeks long), and that was plenty long enough! I couldn't imagine touring for two months! EEK!; )

    Jaime

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll definitely be joining you on your Crimson Moon tour! Can't wait! :)

    I've never done one, but maybe sometime soon. Though quite frankly, the idea scares me! I've seen how much work you put into them and I just don't know if I have enough to say to fuel a whole tour. But they do seem to work, so I'm probably going to give one a go at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm interested to follow this more and see how it works out. I hadn't heard of it but will certainly pay more attention for the next one. Virtual Tour...who knew????

    ReplyDelete
  5. I quite like doing blog tours, although mine have been fairly short. The thing that I find really hard is thinking up all those posts so that I sound both original and interesting.

    ReplyDelete