Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Finding time to Read

When I was in the eighth grade, my teacher gave us an assignment. Use all your spelling words in a story. I filled a spiral notebook, writing my own version of the then hit television show: EMERGENCY. My friend loved my story. My teacher said it was too long. But from that moment on, I wanted to write. I didn’t always like to read though. In fact, I used to think of it as a chore because I never liked the stories we were assigned. It wasn’t until my senior year when a fantastic teacher gave us a long list of stories from which to choose and I chose THE COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO that I fell in love with reading.

From there, I went on to read The Flame and the Flower and The Wolf and the Dove and my love affair with romances began.

I read that whole summer after high school, but once I started college, reading fell by the wayside. So did writing. It wasn’t until after I got pregnant with my first child that I started reading again. And I didn’t start writing again until after my second child started school.

I started out writing children’s stories but I wasn’t very good at it. So I turned to writing the type of books I loved to read. Romances. And after thirteen years, I finally got a publishing contract.

OUT OF THE DARKNESS—a paranormal vampire romance—will be released May 28, 2010. And any free time I have now is spent working on the sequel or trying to figure out ways to promote my book when I suck at self-promotion. So lately, I haven’t had much time for reading. And I miss it. But I am reading two books at the moment because I bought them so long ago and am just now finding some time to read them.

I start reading Jenna Black’s THE DEVIL’S PLAYGROUND after attending her book signing a few weeks ago. Jenna is my former critique partner. If it wasn’t for her and Amy Corwin, OUT OF THE DARKNESS would never have been published. Then a few days ago, I was in the mood to read a historical romance so I picked up Sabrina Jeffries, BEWARE A SCOTT’S REVENGE—a book I bought six months ago!

Sabrina is a member of my local RWA chapter. She’s a wonderful speaker and a mentor to new writers. And her regency romances are HOT. And since my reading time is so limited these days, I try to support the readers I know personally.

I’d like to read more books from The Wild Rose Press writers but there never seems to be enough time to read and write. Do any other writers have this problem?

How do other writers balance time writing with their jobs and families and still find time to read? Do they set aside a time to read each day the way I schedule my writing time? Or do they just read whenever they can and hope to one day finish a book?

How do you find balance?

5 comments:

  1. The Flame and the Flower and The Wolf and the Dove were my first romance books I read. I loved the stories.

    When do I find time to read? I usually keep a book in my purse so if I'm standing in a line somewhere I can pull it out and read. I work a full day on Fridays and I read on my lunch time, too. I just have to sneak it in whenever I can. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lilly, I feel your pain. If I didn't have such a long commute which allows me to listen to audio books, I would never hear the written word. Try reading at bedtime. I usually fall asleep, but at least i get in a few pages a night. Better than nothing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen,
    I like the book in the purse idea. And Julianna, I do have a book by my bed but I usually stay on my computer so late at night that by the time I make it to bed, I'm seeing double!Maybe I need to cut down on my pc time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lilly,
    I carry a book with me at all times along with a note pad and pen so depending on my mood I can either read or write. I've been trying to finish Kim Harrison's latest book but between work and the arrival of warm weather I haven't had time to get past chapt 3 and I usually read a book cover to cover when I start one. I'm thinking this weekend might work. Got 10 hours in a car :)
    I like the way you support your local authors. Our chapter does the same thing. We have a great group of talented women.
    Best of luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Jaclyn. But I think I need a bigger book budget and more time if I want to read all the books from HCRW and TWRP authors. What a talented bunch of folks!

    ReplyDelete