Wednesday, May 12, 2010

May Reads

I'm a big fan of the Regency period in England and am currently reading Jane Austen's Guide to Good Manners: Compliments, Charades and Horrible Blunders. It's a short and informative book tinged with humor and contains examples from the works of Jane Austen. It also has some very nice illustrations.

I just finished J.R. Ward's Lover Avenged. I became addicted to the Black Dagger Brotherhood a couple of years ago. I find the world intriguing, the writing style interesting and in this particular book, the hero is the ultimate bad boy and I was curious how she was going to redeem him. The cover's very eye catching as well.

The next book I plan on reading is Raymond E. Feist's Rides a Dread Legion. I've been reading Feist's books for years. I've fallen in love with multiple characters from Midkemia. The first book that caught my eye was Shadow of a Dark Queen. The title attracted me and I felt compelled to see what the book was about because of the whole Dark Queen thing. I read it and loved it and have devoured most of the books set in the world.

So what attracts me to a book? If I'm doing a quick browse, it's all about name recognition. I look for my favorite authors to see if there's anything new. If I'm loitering in the store then I'll check out titles and see if anything intrigues me. Finally, if it's on the endcap, it's all about the cover. Then I read the blurb and the excerpt. If I'm on the fence then I'll start reading the first few pages and see if I get hooked.

5 comments:

  1. I've read perhaps 5 ot 6 JR Ward's 'Black Dagger Brotherhood'. Even if I admit I like her male protagonists (and the bond between them), what I found annoying after 3 books were the villains. They're always the same, and frankly aside from giving the brothers a reason to head out and fight, they don't seem to be much of a challenge. So I gradually lost interest.

    Has that since changed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since the major plot is about a war between the Brotherhood and the lessers...no the bad guys haven't changed, though they are evolving. She also introduced a twist with the last book I've read. I haven't read the latest release...I'm a year behind on books because of mommyhood.

    I'm a series reader myself. I feel compelled to see things through to the end though I may take long breaks if I get bored with the story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm hooked on Jeaniene Frost's 'Night Huntress' series.

    When I'm in the mood for historicals, Teresa Medeiros and Amanda Quick are sure things.

    And, over the years, I've grown attached to Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunters. Acheron rocks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do have my favorite authors-JR Ward, Diana Gabaldon, Dean Koontz, and few others. These were authors that I learned about by word of mouth and knew the person had similar tastes in books.

    If I'm at Barnes and Noble, looking for a new read,I'll browse the shelves for a cover that grabs me. I love looking at book covers and the artistic beauty that goes into them.

    I read the blurb next. If it sounds interesting, I'll consider buying it. Same goes for the yahoo groups. If the cover looks interesting, I read the blurb.

    I can't help it, I judge a book by its cover. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a fan of Teresa Medeiros and Amanda Quick as well. I've tried Sherrilyn Kenyon, but didn't get into the series. I haven't read Jeaniene Frost yet. I'll have to check her out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete