Thursday, May 27, 2010

Read and Read and Read Again

This last month, we have been talking about some popular reads and our favorite books and I thought it would be great to share some of mine. If you ever saw my book shelves, and the dozens of books still in boxes, you would probably shake your head. There really is no rhyme or reason behind my choice of reads and there is no set genre. Basically, if you stick a book in my hand and I find it a good read, I'll read it. It doesn't matter if it is a creative non-fiction book about Vietnam or World War II, one of my husband's favorites, or a fantasy fiction that caught my eye walking through a department store. I'll even read a zombie book or two with relish and I detest zombies.

Despite having an ever expanding menagerie of books that I have to read, I currently have about 20 sitting on my bookshelf needing to be read, I always have my favorites that need to be re-read. These are the classics that captured a piece of my mind and heart. They have made me take notice, smile, laugh and cry and by the end of the book, I have lamented the fact that it was over and the characters would never grace the white pages of another book. These are the books that I take down year after year and re-read, much to the disbelief of my husband. So with that introduction, let me list a few of my dog eared favorites.

The Odyssey by Homer: Okay, this one usually throws people off because I really couldn't stand The Iliad but this is my all time favorite book tied with the next book on the list. This is a yearly re-read for me and it has everything. Language, conflict, action and a love that defies everything that can be thrown at the main character.

The Plague Dogs by Richard Adams: I originally read this book because a friend told me I would have no idea what the Tod (Fox) was saying. A challenge was issued and I buried my nose in the pages and found to my delight that I could understand Tod and not only that, but I loved the imagery and the whole story. It has many sentences and paragraphs that have inspired me to follow my husband around saying, "You have to hear just this one part," much to his annoyance.

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen: For reasons that probably don't need to be explained, I usually re-read this on a yearly basis since I love everything about this book.

Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton: This was a gift for Mother's Day this year and while it hasn't been re-read yet, I enjoyed the voice so much that I have already been tempted to re-read it after only a few weeks. It is definitely on the list to be tied with my other favorite books of all time.

While there are several other books that I enjoy reading a second or even third time, I have to say that these are my favorite. What about you, do you have any books that you re-read on a yearly basis?

Sirena Van Schaik
www.sirenavanschaik.com
Author of Immortal Desire
Available Now at Wild Rose Press
"Monsters are real, and they stand before me pretending to be human...

Caught in a world of vampires, dark desires and addiction, Angela Cross has walked on the edge of the surreal and found herself in a struggle for her own heart. Drawn to two dangerous men, Angela must make the choice between a life with vampires or a life against them. Will she succumb to the immortal's desire...or will she become the hunter?"

1 comment:

  1. I don't have books I've read on a yearly basis, but I do have books that I've read more than once. Here are two of them.

    The Stress of Her Regard by Tim Powers It's a horror/fantasy novel with a secret history in which real events have supernatural causes. Keats, Percy Shelley and Lord Byron's lives are determined by a race of vampire-like creatures. (Each of the writers mention such creatures in their writings.) I was intrigued how Powers intertwined their writings as if what they wrote about were true events in their lives.

    Outlander by Diana Gabledon. Historical Time Travel. I read this and listen to it on CDs. There are eight books in the series now, but this one remains my favorite.

    Take Care,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete