Tuesday, June 15, 2010

E-reading

My, how things have changed! I sorted through my books this last weekend and noticed I have books that don't even have an ISBN (International Standard Book Number). Now, you don't even need paper to publish books. Electronic books are the new rage and rightly so, since entering the new millenium. They've caused quite a stir in the publishing world. But, doesn't every new advancement in technology? Some people fear change while others embrace it. E-readers seem to have the same allies vs. skeptics.

I know some people who swear they'll never give up the joy of reading a paperback book. They promise to never buy e-readers thinking they'll lose the pleasure a paperback can give them. But, I think they might be missing out on a whole new world of wonderful authors and beautifully written stories.

I must admit, I rode the fence a bit at the beginning. Waiting to see if this e-book thing really was worth spending the money to buy an e-reader. My husband purchased one last March for my birthday. And so far, I think it's a great investment. E-readers aren't so different from traditional books. It's the story that keeps you turning the pages, not the device or format it's delivered in. If you're an avid reader you'll find anything to read. Haven't you ever read the back of a milk carton or the back of a cereal box just because you're eating breakfast and you feel the need to read something?

I like the convenience my e-reader brings. I exercise in the mornings on my elliptical machine. Somedays, I really have to drag myself to it and I'm easily bored, counting the minutes until I'm finished. I tried propping books up so I could read while I worked-out but with all the bouncing I couldn't read the small print. With my e-reader, however, I have the option of changing the font size and now I find I'm exercising longer just because I want to finish the next page, then the next chapter, and oh, if it's a short story, I'll just read the whole thing! How about that? Reading e-books is good for my health!

Do you have an e-reader? Are you willing to try something new? I encourage you to give it a try. You'll be pleasantly surprised. Of course, I'll never give up my paperbacks or hardcover books. I need those just as much as I need an e-reader. And really, why can't we have both?

No comments:

Post a Comment