Monday, June 21, 2010

The switch to e-reader

There's nothing like the feel of a real book. I prefer holding a book in hand, flipping back if necessary. And although you can do this on an e-reader, it just doesn't feel the same.

My children gave me the SONY Reader this Christmas. At first, it seemed yet another technological hurdle to jump. The set-up turned out to be very easy and I like the simple steps at the SONY Store to purchase books. All the ebooks from my computer were easily downloaded into the reader. To see them in digital format, to be able to walk away from the laptop and sit in the living room in a favorite spot to read them felt heavenly. I mastered the quick swipe to turn pages and being able to make the font larger was a treat.

I switch between paperback and ebook now. One best seller, a huge monster to tote around, was easier to read in this venue. There are many options I still don't use, but for reading, it's just fine. It's great for travel, and when you turn it back on, the page you were reading is right in front of you.

I don't think e-readers will ever take the place of paper books, but it's a great device that's simple to use. Reading for hours without having to stop and rest my eyes is a big plus as well.

5 comments:

  1. If you go to my blog http://www.mflagg.blogspot.com and answer the question there, you'll be entered to win a copy of my second book in The Champion Chronicles, which is soon to be released in the Black Rose Line.

    I hope you stop by ~ Mickey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't purchased an e-book reader yet, but I've heard so many good things about them. If the book is only offered in e-book, I'm stuck at the computer to read it. It would be nice to be able to take it with me.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really hesitated on purchasing one. My children sort of pushed me over that techno edge, Karen. It's really simple to use. Of course, seeing your own book on it is an amazing feeling. But the portable factor is the true selling point. And the screen makes it possible to read for hours.

    There are 'price wars' on right now between the Kindle and the NOOK. My guess is that SONY will soon follow. I also hear HP is coming out with their answer to the iPad. That should be interesting too!

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw the price wars, and love it! I have a Nook (OK, and Marisa has a Kindle lol) but I love my Nook. I could transfer everything over with no problem and it was really convenient. Glad you like your e-reader! And congrats on the new release! I'll be sure to add it to my Nook.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the price wars are going to get even hotter as e-book sales rise. I know some text books are already digital. No matter which one you choose, that backpack will be quite a bit lighter. So hooked on a NOOK or cozy with a SONY, the way we read continues to change. It's a great device.

    Thanks for the good wishes, Isabel, and thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete