Thursday, June 3, 2010

We've been talking about what we've been reading lately, and since I haven't done much of that recently as far as books go, I'd like to discuss what I have been reading....an absolutely wonderful manuscript in progress called Rage of Innocence. Now I know this is a paranormal blog, and that we are paranormal writers, but this book is an 1850's New York City Historical, as you can guess, based on Edith Wharton's story. And those who know me have to be shaking their heads and wondering....Linda....really?

Yes, really.

I have to tell you all that genre and time don't matter when the writing is absolutely fabulous. The author has done a wonderful job of bringing me into this world (which I know nothing about), making characters come alive, explaining the dictates of this society without really explaining them, and getting me to love a book I'd rather not read.

So what's the point to all this? Superb writing transcends our normal every day reading zones.
Awesome books can grab readers who frequents other genres. So if we as authors write the best books within us, we're sure to increase our audience. And that's one of my major goals, to get my books read by as many people as possible.

How about you? Are you ready to brave uncharted or less frequented genres? Give it a try.
You never know what gem you'll pick up next.

2 comments:

  1. So curious about who the author is now! What a tease to mention the name of the book, but not the writer!
    It's so much fun to switch up genres now and then, both reading and writing them. It's fun to return to historicals and Regencies after gorging in paranormals (and vice versa!) For me, if I read a spate of one type of book and then move to a different genre, the first seems so much fresher when I return!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm an eclectic reader. I read just about anything. Haven't ventured into erotica yet, but who knows? And you are so right. A good book, no matter the genre, can pull you in and make you fall in love with the setting and the characters. That's, the kind of writer I want to be.

    ReplyDelete