Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy Independence Day, America, What are you reading?

Happy Independence Day, America! And thanks to all members of the military and their families for their sacrifices. Today is a day worth celebrating. If you're American, how are you celebrating?

I’m at the beach, one of my favorite places in the world. I drove down to Emerald Isle, NC after work Thursday and met a girlfriend/co-worker and her sisters at a fabulous restaurant on the pier. Then we went out for karaoke.

On Friday, I hung out on the beach with some of my neighbors from the camper park. Later, I stayed in my camper, writing until my husband’s arrival.

Saturday. the water was so calm it looked like the Caribbean. Crystal green near shore and deep blue near the horizon. It was gorgeous. Perfect for swimming. Not so good for those who surf. But it was a fabulous day of sun, ocean breezes and reading.

I love reading on the beach. I recently downloaded Liz Phelp’s new release, Mirror Image on my Nook. The heroine is unique. And tough. And Liz has done a good job introducing backstory without dumping it on the reader in the first chapter. I’m really enjoying it. But is it going to be my favorite book? Hmm. Can you even have a favorite?

Choosing a favorite book is sort of like choosing a favorite body part. You love or need pretty much all of them, except the appendix. And each part serves a unique purpose. My “favorite” books are like that. I enjoyed each one for a different reason. But I still couldn’t choose a favorite any more than I could choose a favorite finger. Although, I must admit, there is one finger I think about using more than the others when I’m pissed. 

When I was little, my favorite book was Harold and the Purple Crayon. I loved it because Harold had this magical crayon and when he didn't like the things in his life, he just drew the world around him the way he wanted it to be.

I sometimes wish the real world were like that. Maybe I'm a control freak. Or maybe I'm just a romantic. I want life and love to be happily ever after. I guess that's why I love romances so much. I need that HEA or at the very least, a satisfying ending.

The Count of Monte Cristo had a satisfying ending. That's also one of my favorite books because it re-taught me the joy of reading. In high school, I'd gotten where I hated reading because I was always having to read books and stories not to my liking so I could be tested on them. But one teacher allowed us to choose the book we wanted to read. And I chose The Count of Monte Cristo. And I learned to love reading again.

I always wished I could re-write the original ending and make it happier. I guess that's why I loved the re-make of the movie. The latest Count of Monte Cristo movie ends the way I wanted the book to end. And, it stars Jim Caviezel. And he is just gorgeous.

So, I guess I don't really have a favorite book. Do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment