Monday, August 9, 2010

Why I wanted to be a writer

Why did I want to be a writer? Well, it beats working outside in this heat. :) Really, though. I've always made up stories in my mind and starting in 2nd grade, began writing them down. Most of those first stories were like Nancy Drew (my favorite book at the time), although the ones I'd carry on in my head (does anyone else live in their daydreams??) were more like Little House on the Prairie (another fav). In 9th grade, I wrote a report on what schools would be like in the future and the teacher told me it was way too creative for the assignment and suggested I should sign up for her creative writing class (which didn't fit in my schedule). Writing stopped completely in college, at least the creative kind. One day about 8 years ago I was sitting in cube-ville and thinking that I'd love a job that I could work at from home. It was like a light turning on b/c all these stories started piling into my head, wanting out on the page. The end result was not pretty (although I thought it wonderful), and I signed up for Writer's Digest to try to learn to write better. Then while at a book sale at work I stumbled across a romance novel, a paranormal romance novel. I'd given up on romance many years before, but didn't recognize this one as a romance novel until I was halfway through it. And loving it. That book introduced me into the genre and soon after I joined RWA and started trying to send out manuscripts. Since I loved reading fantasy growing up, paranormals were an obvious next step. I like to mix what I call Harry Potter elements into my writing. Give me a magical story any day and I'm in heaven on earth. A couple of years back, I read about the Got Wolf? contest on TWRP website and the rest is history. :)

What kinds of books do you like to read and why?

4 comments:

  1. Hi Karilyn,

    I've always loved paranormal tales--time travel, shifters, vampires, ghosts and witches.

    The tales can be historical, westerns or urban fantasies, but they must have a happy ending, too. lol I'm not asking for much, am I?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fell in love with paranormal romance when I was in the 3rd and 4th grades, watching Dark Shadows. Loved Chris Jennings, the werewolf and Barnabas Collins, the poor, misunderstood vampire!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope, it's not asking for a lot for a happy ending. That's my only requirement. Solve the mystery, stop the terrorist, fall in love. All happy endings. :)

    I don't think I've seen Dark Shadows. I did like the Shaggy DA, but that's not a romance!! I love the paranormal for the escapism. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I write paranormal. I like those impossible happy endings, too.

    ReplyDelete