Saturday, August 21, 2010

Why I write.

A simple question, right? Not so easy to answer. Well, I never thought of myself as a writer. While working on a second masters, one professor described me as such to our cohort of future school administrators. Arguing I was (and always would be) just a music teacher, she insisted, "No. You're a writer. Your papers tell a story." Okay. So I wrote three educational essays weekly during those two intense years - while teaching full time and staggering through a nasty divorce. Then my action research thesis wins a prestigious award, and I contributed a chapter in a textbook for urban music educators. Although it had to happen, I couldn't process difficult changes in my life after twenty-six years of marriage. I had two grown children who needed a better grip on the reality of our situation as well. My sense of self spiraled out of control in a dangerous way.

So my son told me to write. And longing for some type of salvation myself, I created a sensual vampire who would fight like hell for redemption. I figured ten pages of blah-blah-blah and I'd have my emotional catharsis. Retribution! was born - all 130,000 words of it. Believe it or not, a reputable publishing house asked me to lop off 30,000 words. Imagine that. I refused the horrid request and simmered with so much anger that I wrote Consequences... which came in at 140,000 words!

In two years I had two books, and then two contracted offered. I happily signed with TWRP - cut my word-counts way way down and did the happy dance with two proud kids who never stopped believing in their crazy mom. My goddess of an editor, Callie Lynn, named the series The Champion Chronicles. Very patiently, she nursed me through the edit process for Retribution! By the time we started Consequences, I think I made her proud. And when she contracted Inheritance, Book Three of the Trilogy, at last I understood why I write.

Writing is creative expression. As a paranormal author, my world takes any shape I choose. Character development, research, setting and mood capture my attention and the dust bunnies multiply while I craft my version of happily-ever-after. Now that I'm a Vice Principal in a large urban school, what I see every day would make anyone want to live in a fantasy, at least for a little while. I wish I had more time to let my imagination run wild and free. I know it will happen; just don't know when.

I've been blessed and then blessed again. I think my angels work overtime :)  This incredible journey into writing; this glorious pleasure of telling a story still makes me excited. Simply put, I write because it's a part of who I am. Why do you write?

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading about why you write. It's so true. I write because it's a part of who I am. I couldn't imagine doing anything else. :)

    ReplyDelete