Friday, October 15, 2010

Halloween Memories

October is one of my favorite months. It's a great time of year when the oppressive heat from the summer has dissipated and the frigid cold of winter hasn't yet set in. The vivid colors of bright reds, yellows and oranges decorate the mountainside offering a beautiful view for a few special weeks before bare branches are exposed. Walking through the woods is enjoyable and also haunting as the life of the wilderness quietly fades as it prepares for the winter season.

And then there's the fall festivities to experience. Hayrides and corn mazes, bobbing for apples and carving pumpkins. And I always look forward to the food. Pumpkin pie and hot apple cider are two of my favorites. And my grandmother makes a delicious chocolate chip pumpkin cake that my husband drools over for his birthday (though that's in November!).

Halloween has always been one of my favorite holidays. Dressing up as your favorite characters from movies, legends or myths creates a fantasy-like atmosphere where for a short time you can pretend to be someone (or something!) else.

One memory stands out from my childhood of a particular Halloween party that my mother took us to. That year instead of buying the plastic masks and one-piece vinyl costumes the department stores provided, my mother took it upon herself to create our costumes. She dressed me in colorful skirts, fabrics, scarves and dangling jewelry of a gypsy. I had a black wig to cover my reddish blonde hair and for the first time in my young life I was allowed to wear make-up. She had fun decorating my face and making me feel grown-up, much to my father's dismay. For my brother she took furry fabric, jacket and jeans and made my brother into a creepy werewolf. He had fun jumping at people and growling. It wasn’t so much the costumes or the party but more of sharing the experience with our mother that made it so special.

Since I now have children of my own, the fun of Halloween has doubled and taken on a new meaning for me as a mother. I love experiencing their excitement and wonder as they learn about this time of year. Jumping in leaves has become fun again, something I haven't done for a long time. Decorating the house becomes an adventure as they help open the storage boxes to reveal plastic pumpkins, spiders, ghosts and our glow-in-the-dark skeleton, George. And it brings me such joy to watch them dress up in their costumes and play. Last year my boys were Buzz Lightyear and Woody from Toy Story. We kept the costumes out for their pretend play so we kept Halloween going all year long.

Happy Halloween, everyone!

Tricia Schneider is the mother of 3 and the paranormal romance author of The Witch and the Wolf. For more information, go to www.triciaschneider.com

6 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed this post, Tricia. Halloween and October are also my favorites times of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Helen! It really is a fun time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice post, Tricia! Sounds like many great memories. Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Sharron! It was difficult to narrow it down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved creating costumes with my girls rather than buying store bought. It was a fun time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love October and Halloween, the crisp, smokiness of the air, the color, the mystery, the possibility.

    Oh, and the apples. Definitely, the apples. Caramel optional.

    ReplyDelete