Tuesday, October 19, 2010

October - Time to Pull Out These Favorites

October is the time of year to pull out some old favorite reads. As 'Twas the Night Before Christmas is read in December, there are a few stories I like to read in October.

3. The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving

2. Alfred Hitchcock Presents - Stories for Late at Night

1. The Complete Poems and Tales of Edgar Allen Poe


I love reading my Edgar Allen Poe but only pull it from my shelves during October. Mainly because my friends worry about me if I read it other times. They think it's depressing. I don't think they are that depressing, at least not worse than any romantic suspense with serial killers. Maybe that's why I read so much paranormal romance, I can get all the suspense and none of the guilt.

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and several of the Poe tales have been made into movies. So you don't have to choose what you want to read or watch...you can do both. I have to admit to being partial to the Disney remake of the Sleepy Hollow legend although Johnny Depp does make a good Ichabod. And I love watching Vincent Price. His voice sends chills down my spine.

How do you enjoy your scares? Would you rather read a book or watch a movie?

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Beth! I love Poe as well and what can I say about Sleepy Hollow, scary isn't scary without either. I read Poe as a preteen believe it or not! Vincent Price seemed to be in all the movies if I am not mistaken and Lord knows I love that Raven:)

    Thanks for sharing your Halloween tradition.

    Callie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the classics, too! Nothing scarier than Poe - the father of modern horror! I agree about Vincent Price...spooky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by Callie and Sharon. Yep, Mr. Price was in all the Poe movies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beth, Love Alfred Hitchcock and The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. But my favorite thing about Halloween is the horror movies. Not the slasher films so much as Silence of the Lambs or Psycho. There's just something fun about being scared when you know it's not real!

    ReplyDelete