Tuesday, February 22, 2011

For Better or Worse...

This month the blog posts are about romance. And who doesn’t love a story about a man sweeping a woman off her feet. It’s the first time their eyes meet across a crowded room and the first kiss that gets our hearts beating a little faster.

After seventeen years of marriage, you’d think the romance would turn stale...boring. And perhaps it does, until your guy does something that just knocks your socks off.

Nope. It wasn’t a fabulous Valentine’s Day present (although he did cook me a sumptuous meal for the occasion.) It was how he treated me when I was (still am) at my worst.

Despite taking all the precautions—flu shot (check), washing hands (check), vitamins (check.) The flu hit me with a vengeance.

As the flu symptoms subsided, bronchitis kicked in. I’m a nasty mucus machine right now. If I’d been in my husband’s shoes, I’d find lots of excuses not to be around me. I’m not a pretty sight.

Instead of running away, he has stuck by my side, bringing me hot tea and medicine, making sure the dog has been walked, and telling me that he doesn’t mind my rather inglorious hacking.


If that isn’t love, I don’t know what is.

So forget the flowers.

Don’t even bother me with poetry.

Give me a man who’ll hug me when my nose is runny and I sound like I’ve swallow a barrel of gravel. The guy who sticks with you when you’re at your worst, now he’s a keeper.



Dorothy McFalls

Mystical Seduction, TWRP
"action-packed plot with plenty of steam" ~ Fallen Angel Reviews

w/a Dorothy St. James Look for FLOWERBED OF STATE May 2011, Berkley Prime Crime
The White House is about to get a green thumb.

Come join me on Facebook:
http://facebook.com/dorothy.stjames

3 comments:

  1. Great post, Dorothy. Sounds like you've got yourself a good man! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right. A guy who knows what "in sickness and in health" means is a man who knows about true romance. When I was undergoing treatment for breast cancer in 2007, my husband had a way of making me feel loved even when I was totally bald and so exhausted when I got home from work that I crashed on the sofa and stayed there until time to get up the next morning.

    ReplyDelete