Thursday, February 17, 2011

From My Vampires... With Love.

Happy Valentine’s Day Month! Why not right? There’s no reason that I can think of why Valentine’s Day should be honed down to the fourteenth. I highly doubt Saint Valentine would’ve gone for that!

So in the spirit of Valentine’s (And probably not saints), I thought to chat about…vampires! They're capable of love too and deserve their heyday. Oh I know, their hearts don’t beat and all they typically can think about is blood but somewhere in the midst of all that there once existed a mortal man. Just imagine what that must be like. To have to suppress your natural vamp urges in order to love a mortal woman. Better yet, imagine you were an ancient vampire who desires another vampire but you’ve given up on love.

That would be sad. And regrettable.

So I decided to grill some vampires about romance. For this Valentine’s Month post I’ll be conducting a short interview with the heroes from my vampire series, Gabriel (Darkest Memory) and Salvator (Heart of Vesuvius). Were they pleased a mortal interviewed them? Of course not. Add the basic male ego combined with the ‘I’m better than mere humans’ attitude of vamps and it was a struggle. Still, I got it! Here goes…

SKY: Who is your Valentine this year?

GABRIEL: Said with an English accent, “My true love, Calah.”

SALVATOR: Mi Amore, Alexandria

SKY: If you could change one thing about her, what would it be?

GABRIEL: She has always been perfect, in all lives. I’d change nothing.

SALVATOR: It would have been that she feels no fear but she’s conquered that battle. All’s well.

SKY: You can offer her a treat for this most momentous of romantic holidays. What would it be?

GABRIEL: A walk through time. Sex and romance beneath a willow tree.

SALVATOR: Blood? No, she has all she needs. Most definitely her own art gallery. And me.

SKY: You can take her to one place to show her how much you love her…where would it be?

GABRIEL: The forests of England in mid-summer. Next to a river.

SALVATOR: Home, in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. No more Italy for now. We’ve seen enough of the world−present and past−to know that location means nothing. We have one another.

SKY: What’s next for you and your love?

GABRIEL: Well, Calah is putting her career as a journalist on hold and is finally going to write her first novel. I am going to sell our place in Maine and build a castle overseas for us to live in for the next few centuries.

SALVATOR: We don’t know. We don’t want to. It’s been such a challenge finding each other that we will simply enjoy being together for now.

SKY: As a final question, if you could give romance readers one word of advice, what would it be?

GABRIEL: If you truly love someone, tell them. Don’t let too much time go by.

SALVATOR: Never assume you have a woman figured out…you don’t.

Well, there you have it Ladies! A little ‘know how’ from my favorite vamps. Lucky me, they kept their fangs retracted through the interview. I think the truth is plain though. Be it otherworldly or not, love WILL find a way.

I hope everyone spends this month loving and being loved because life is too short not to. (Seems I might have something in common with Salvator. *winks* Don’t tell him that. He’s arrogant enough.)

Learn more about Gabriel from Darkest Memory and Salvator from Heart of Vesuvius at my Website.

Enjoy discovering new authors? Join me at my Blog, A Writer’s Mind as I welcome romance writers to my Celts and More Blog Event. Right now our very own Sharon Donovan is chatting about Charade of Hearts. While I’m currently a very proud Black Rose, I was born a Faery Rose so c’mon over. Chance to win Blue Diamond Earrings and a $15 Gift Certificate to Digi Books Café!


Because it’s the month of romance and I love vampires so much I can’t help but list my ALL TIME favorite. Armand from Anne Rice’s, Interview with a Vampire (not the hero but has his own tale). While I adore his character, must say, Antonio Banderas who played his part in Hollywood’s version was everything I thought a vampire should be. Hat’s off, love. You hit the nail on the head!

What about you? Do you have an all time favorite vampire lurking around out there from either a book or movie?

Cheers
~Sky

10 comments:

  1. Hello Sky, what a fangtastic (sorry, I mean fantastic :) ) interview!

    I was born a 'Faery Rose' too, but I loved reading 'Darkest Memory'.

    My favourite vampire hunk? Well at the moment that has to be your Gabriel - but of course I have yet to meet Salvatore in 'Heart Of Vesuvius'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe, thanks Lyn! Gabriel was my first vamp so he holds a special spot in my heart. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the interview!!!! What a cool idea! I LOVED getting another view from deep inside the characters head! You defintely, get a different perspective. Very clever!!

    Best of luck!

    Andrea
    atsnider@verizon.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angel was my favorite

    horseunicornkey@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice choice, Pat! Thanks for stopping in!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe you picked Antonio Banderas. To me he is the most sensual and good looking Vampire out there. I love him. Love those lips. :) W e have good taste in men. lol lol I can't wait to read about Gabriel and Salvatore.
    Carol L
    Lucky4750@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hallo everyone,
    I'm new and slightly nervous . . .

    Oh mmmmm, favourite vampire hunks, so many to choose from and only an eternity to drool over them . . . great post Sky!

    I loved Antonio in 'Interview' too, he completely overshadowed Tom Cruise's attempt at Lestat in my humble opinion. But my favourite vampire has to be Spike - or William the Bloody. As a Brit, I was even pretty impressed with his 'London' accent which only became Californian with words like 'chance' and 'dance.' But - hey not everyone' perfect :) I can forgive him . . .

    My second favourite vampire hunk is Eric from True Blood. So cool and so very wicked.

    But the first vampire who caught my attention (at the tender age of thirteen - me, not him) was Christopher Lee as Count Dracula in an ancient Hammer film. It's probably down to him and Bram Stoker that I'm here at all!

    Actually, I'm head over heels in love with my own character, Will, too.
    He's a three-hundred-year-old English aristocrat. Tall, dark and dangerous with a wicked sense of irony.

    I look forward to reading about your vampires Sky :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry about the belayed response! Carol... so cool you have a thing for Antonio but doesn't surprise me in the least. We really do have great taste in men, eh? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Berni, so sorry for the belayed response! The past few weeks have been crazy but I always try to make a habit of responding to comments.

    Glad you enjoyed the post! And welcome! Don't be nervous. We're all newbies at one time or another. :-)

    OMG.... I LOVE Eric from True Blood. Nothing like a hot viking vampire with a sex drive that's... well... *wicked grin* I can't wait for the season to start up again. DVR's already set to record.

    I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for your vampire, Will. Gimme a tall, dark and dangerous vamp with an English accent any day of the week! If you read this comment...share, share. What's the name of the story he's in?

    Cheers
    ~Sky

    ReplyDelete