Thursday, February 10, 2011

Valentine's Day

It's that time of the year again. Valentine's Day. The day lovers exchange gifts and declare their love for each other. Supposedly, to the Pagans of long ago, February 14th was the day birds and animals began their annual hunt for a mate. I thought that was an interesting fact.

For me, it's only been since I met my hubby that I've liked Valentine's Day. One particular day doesn't stand out in my memory, but some of the gifts the hubster gave me do. While I love flowers, I don't really like to see them cut. The cut flowers, while pretty, die in about a week and all this money has been spent on now-dead flowers. So I told hubby to buy plants. Now I have a house full of plants. They sit in every window, out on the porch, in the entryway. My favorite was a lemon tree. It actually sprouted several lemons, which were growing to a size where they could be cut. Unfortunately, the plant met my dog. The dog loved the tree. Pulled it right out of its bucket, ate the lemons (and spit them out) and thought the trunk was his own personal chew toy. Sigh. I never did get to taste the lemons. But I have a ton of dog stories. :)

Hope each of you has a wonderful, romantic Valentine's Day!

1 comment: