Tuesday, March 15, 2011

How to Write a Book Blurb

The best thing a new writer should do is examine the blurbs of published books. Get a feel for what the writer is accomplishing with her blurb. The blurb is basically the front line in a potential sale. It has to get as much information about the book across to the reader to make it intriguing, to introduce the characters and their conflict, and to draw the reader into their story. To make the reader want to learn about what happens to these characters, but without giving too much of the story away.


For me, writing blurbs begins with preparing to write my story. When I get a story idea, I write it out as a short synopsis or quick outline. This helps me when I write the story, something I can refer to during the writing process. I also use it as inspiration when I need to write out a full synopsis and blurb. After several (and I mean several!) revisions of those few lines of description, a blurb is born.


Here's the blurb for my brand new March release, The Witch and the Vampire:

Melora Merriweather is searching for a fellow witch to protect her from a scheming uncle with plans of marriage. When her carriage overturns on her journey, she is rescued by a mysterious man whom she learns is the very person she seeks. But, he’s not the witch she thought he was…

Sebastian Collins should have left for London days ago. Now a snowstorm has trapped him with a woman who has come seeking protection, a woman who intrigues him like no other. And with each passing hour, his hunger for her grows…hunger for her kiss, her caress, and her blood.

2 comments: