Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Bummer, I'm rejected again

The first rejection letter I received came on the same day I was told I could never have kids. Somehow it just didn't seem all that important and was thrown somewhere I can't find. Then I joined RWA and submitted to an e-publisher that, during the year they had the manuscript, changed into a place I didn't buy books from anymore. I didn't mind getting the rejection letter.

After that, I won a contest at TWRP and got a most wonderful editor, so I submitted the story previously submitted to the other publisher and got a rejection. I was really bummed. Until I re-read the story. Then I was really embarrassed. When I had sent that novel off years ago, I thought it looked really good. Really good. But as the years passed, my technique improved and now the story was bad. B-A-D. As my editor said: I really wanted to kill the hero. She had a point. I wanted to kill him too. So, guess what? I did. :) Kept his name and occupation and tried really hard to clean him up since my editor said she'd look at another round. It still got rejected. I was really bummed, but asked if I could try again. Poor editor. She really needs a medal. Third time was a charm, and I'm happy to say my completely reworked story, with a new and improved hero, is coming out in August. :)

My advice is to not let rejections get you down. Everyone gets them. It's what you do with them that counts. And if you have a manuscript sitting around that you haven't read for awhile: read it before sending it out. Just saying.

3 comments:

  1. I look back as stuff I wrote years ago and how I totally believed agents would love it and I thing...whoa. I've grown as an author so much. Glad your perspective on rejection letters is so optimistic.
    Edge of Your Seat Romance

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Raquel! It's amazing how much we change as writers. Hopefully for the better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great advice. And I can't tell you the number of times I've rewritten a story, changed the name of the story and/or changed the character's name or personality. And I firmly agree. You should always put a story aside for at least a month and reread it before submitting it anywhere. I'm always surprised by the number of mistakes I still find or things I think I need to change, even after I get the final galley.

    ReplyDelete