Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Rejected. Who me?

Wouldn’t we all enjoy telling those who reject our work where to go? *Grins*

I’ll never forget the day I decided to become published. The late autumn sky gleamed bright blue. Vibrant, multi-colored leaves splashed across New England. My creative juices were flowing. I wrote and wrote and wrote some more. Then edited and revised and polished. At last, I submitted what I thought was the perfect manuscript. Must say, I was on top of the world, undefeatable. I knew for a fact nothing could stop me.

Until that first rejection letter arrived.

“Thank you for considering us for publication, Ms. Purington. Regrettably, your story is not quite what we’re looking for at this time”

Okay, fine. No problem. I’d sent out multiple queries. That publisher obviously wasn’t a fit for me anyway.

Days later, the next rejection letter arrived. I shrugged. These things happen. Can’t please everyone.

One week later, the next letter arrived. Yet another rejection. I think it was around this point the heavy sighs kicked in. The kindle of arrogance I’d enjoyed fizzled.

Suffice it to say, three more rejections rolled in before I realized it was time to take a second look at my manuscript. Newly determined, I sat down and slapped on the ol’ elbow grease. My story needed to be better. Alright… much better! Long story short, or should I say short story longer, my manuscript was at last accepted for publication a year later.

To this day I keep every single rejection letter tucked safely away in a shoebox. Why? Because I want my son to know his mom never gave up. Since the day he was born in ’05 I’ve made a point of raising him on the old adage, “If at first you don’t succeed try and try again.” If he knows mom never gave up on her dream, there’s a very good chance he won’t give up on his.

Stephenie Meyer’s, Twilight was rejected by fourteen publishing houses before it was accepted. I’ll bet all those publishers are ruing the day now. Stephen King was rejected so many times he was going to give up writing. Can you even imagine?

Rejection’s part of life and certainly part of a writing career. Truth told it’s a blessing in disguise because it makes you strive to do better. Be better. We should all learn and grow throughout our entire career. Part of the process! The minute you think you’ve got it all figured out is the day the wild world of publishing will throw you a curveball.

Write well everyone and never let a little rejection get in your way!

~Sky

Website ~ A Writer's Mind Blog ~ Twitter ~ Facebook

2 comments:

  1. Commenting here because it won't let me on your newest entry. Good blog, and one that sure touches all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post Sky. and so very true. Curve balls come out of nowhere but if you're ready, they don't have to blindside you. Keep on doing what you do best.

    ReplyDelete