Sunday, July 10, 2011

Generalize

This post will be short and sweet – well, relatively. I’ve been very ill and unable to participate for over a year now so I could get a bit wordy, but as I get back into the swing of things, this tip might save editors a bit of time. My experience with TWRP has been great. Renee edited and suggested revisions for my story, “Raven’s Shelter.” It’s one of five novellas in “Taming of the Wolf 2.”  She was very professional, personable, and did a fantastic job, so the only suggestion I have is this: generalize whenever possible.

Much like my beloved English teachers of long ago, I read portions of my students’ papers, offer specific corrections, examples, and suggestions enough to ensure the student understands, and generalize from that point. Most writers have a tendency toward particular strengths and weaknesses, and most of us are aware of our weaknesses but still struggle with them and need examples and reminders from time to time. My strengths are characterization and punctuation :)  My main weaknesses include taking forever to finish a story, and over-using the word “that.”  I think examples and reminders of general rules of usage help develop the writer’s self-editing skills.

Unfortunately, I don’t know how to rid myself of perfectionism and write faster, but critique partners and editors have been a big help in eradicating my over-use of and apparent fascination with “that” by pointing out specific instances where the word is not needed and reminding me of general rules to follow in terms of its use.    

No comments:

Post a Comment