Tuesday, July 12, 2011

What I Wish My Editor Knew...

I have been blessed many times over with wonderful editors. However, each has been wonderful for her own reason, and no two have the same style. So, I've compiled a list of my favorite editorial behaviors.

Rejections


No writer likes them. Try and include strengths as well as weaknesses.

Rewrites and Resubmits


Details. Details. Details. Please.

It's not enough to say a scene doesn't work. Why doesn't it work? Does it violate house guidelines? Do the characters act out of character? Does the scene make one or more of the characters unpalatable? Does it not add anything to the story? Does it detract from the story?

Don't like a character? Why not? Is the character not three-dimensional enough? Are character flaws or actions unbelievable? Don't understand the character's motivation or goals?

Revisions


I love Microsoft Word's ability to track changes and add comments. I like to see both good comments and constructive criticism comments. I want to know what my editors really like or hate.

Communications


I like to hear the status of edits every couple of weeks, if possible. Nothing elaborate, just a note to let me know when I might be able to expect revisions. I know editors are busy, but so are writers and a little heads up allows us to clear our schedules to return edits in a timely manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment