Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Love scenes

When I first started writing romance, I had the worst time writing love scenes. Oddly enough, it wasn't so much the embarrassing aspect of people I know reading about my take on bedroom activities, but that the scenes had about as much emotion as a squashed tomato. No one wants to read about a squashed tomato. You know it's bad when you don't want to read your own love scenes!

So I turned to some of my favorite authors for advice. Good thing some authors post writing advice on their webpages for newbies. :) One of the authors stated that to make good love scenes, you needed for each scene to bring the hero and heroine closer together. It's not about tab A into slot B mechanics, but it's about drawing the reader into the emotions. Showing how each stroke, each kiss causes the hero and heroine to fall more in love. I try to do this when I write now. At least I can read my scenes, as opposed to yawning my way through them. :)

What do you look for in a love scene? Is it sex for the sake of sex, or do you prefer to see the deepening emotional attachment of the hero and heroine?

No comments:

Post a Comment