I took a wonderful class by Laurie Schnebly Campbell about using Ennagrams to build characters. I'd never heard of ennagrams before and found the class fascinating. It divides personalities into basis types. When we write we assign characteristics to our people and this is a basic tool. For more information Laurie can be found at www.BookLaurie.com
Here is a breakdown of what notes I took giving all credit to Laurie for the list.
1. To the Perfectionist life is always right or wrong; moral decisions black or white and he sets high standards for himself and others.2. A Nurturer is constantly giving and doing for others. She is always proud of being needed, sometimes secretly by acting humble
3. An Achiever can be either a Prince Charming or a Golden Girl with a facade concealing his weaknesses.
4. A Romantic displays his powerful emotions and her grand visions for life. Her reality is always less than her ideal.
5. An Observer is analytical and detached. He prefers private study to involvement in emotional situations.
6. The Skeptic is always doubtful. She constantly considers possible risks to loved ones and to oneself and is hesitant.
7. An Adventurer is one who loves trying new things and constantly seeks excitement.
8. The Leader is our hero, confident and in control. As a villian he can have a lust for power. He hides a vulnerable core.
9. The Peacemaker shows her balance. She never takes sides and tries to keep everyone content.
Can you guess from my excerpt what types my hero and heroine are?
From Ancient Blood
“What makes you so important? Or is this another secret?”
Cole’s eyes darkened. “Lily. I’m pushing the line with you. Give me some slack.”
“I want answers, Cole.” She grabbed his arm as he turned and pulled him to a halt.
He gently, carefully drew her fierce grip into his grasp. His golden eyes heated as he lifted her hand to his lips. “I already told you, Lily. You’d have to mate with me to learn all my secrets.”
Urgent need raced from his lips to her center. His scorching gaze melted her from the inside out. All her being longed to step into his arms, to become one in a way she’d never known. She trembled as she recognized the danger.
For those of you in New England, I'll be at the
Write Angles Conference 2011
By writers, for writers — in our 26th year in Western Massachusetts Mount Holyoke, East Hadley MA
PANEL SESSION II – 11:15 am to 12:30 pm (Choose one)
Exploring the Avenues and Lanes of Sci-Fi/Fantasy (Andreola Room)
Moderator: Tanya Shersnow
Panelists: Holly Black, Corrina Lawson, Barbara Edwards
This panel will explore the sub-genres within this ever expanding genre, giving attendees a sense of what’s new in 2011, and offer advice and inspiration about associations and publishers within this genre.
I can be found:
Author Web: http://barbaraedwards.net
Blog Site: http://barbaraedwardscomments.wordpress.com
Ancient Blood http://on.fb.me/naHRY5
Authors Den: http://authorsden.com/barbaraedwards
Amazon Author Page: http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B003F6ZK1A
Ancient Blood Buy link http://tinyurl.com/3f627vh