Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Halloween Punk

As a child, I always loved Halloween almost as much as Christmas. Besides picking out a costume weeks before the big day, there was almost always a party or hay ride or something fun. As I grew older, those fun events grew fewer and farther between.

Then in 1980, I got married. My husband had been laid off for almost two months before the wedding and had only recently landed a job as a route salesman. I was still in college. We lived in an old house that had been divided into four apartments. Ours was on the ground floor and only had three rooms. Money was tight. But that first Halloween my husband and I went to see this movie. A first of it's kind called a slasher movie. (Or as we called it back then, a teen sex and die movie.)

Friday the 13th had been released on the West Coast in May of that year. It may have made it to the East Coast prior to October 1980, but my husband and I went to see it with friends our first Halloween.

I don't really remember how it happened, but we somehow ended up coming home in separate vehicles. I think my husband was late getting home from work and met us there. He'd parked in a different parking lot or something  and I think I left my purse in my friend's car. So, I told my husband I'd ride home with them and meet him back at the apartment.

There was limited parking behind the apartment and any visitors had to park on the street. But when our friends bought me home, the street was packed. I told them to drop me off and I'd walk. It was less than a block.

But I'd just seen Friday the 13th. And I was alone. Still, I was trying to prove I wasn't a wuss. I was a married adult woman. I was twenty. lol!

I remember walking down the sidewalk beneath a street light that had blown. It was a mild October night. A cool breeze made it feel chillier than it probably was. The half-moon did little to illuminate the dimly lit sidewalk. My heels clicked against the cement. Orange and brown leaves swirled around my feet.


Chills shivered up my spine as I thought of a particularly gruesome scene from the movie. This hot guy--played by Kevin Bacon--who later became one of my favorite actors, was a new face at the time. In the movie, he was stabbed from underneath his bed.

As a child, I was terrified of the underside of my bed. No limb ever hung off the mattress. Yep, I knew I was going to have nightmares that night. I walked faster.

As I entered the front hall of the old house and struggled with my keys, my hand shook. As I came through the front door, I heard something at the backdoor. My heart nearly stopped beating. Knees knocking, I peaked around the corner as my husband stepped through the door. I screamed. He laughed. I slapped his shoulder.

My heart was still pounding. But he was laughing. Yep, I had to get even.

Halloween 1980 fell on a Friday and because my husband had rushed home to make the movie in time, he didn't take a shower. So, before going to bed that night, he got in the shower. This was my opportunity!

I thought about the way he'd scared me. I thought about all the times he turned on the hot water in the sink while I was in the shower so the water in the shower would turn ice cold. He thought that was funny. I thought it was time for some payback. And boy, was he going to pay!


Yes, I had evil on my mind. I thought about the movie, smiled, and got a bottle of ketchup out of the fridge.

The tub in that old apartment was an antique clawfoot with a thick shower curtain that wrapped all the way around. I slipped into the bathroom. Steam rolled across the floor.  He never saw me coming.

As quiet as Mrs. Vorhees before she drilled the spear through Kevin Bacon's throat, I stood on the toilet and looked down at the top of my husband's head as he washed his hair. I raised my arm and...

Poured the whole bottle of ice cold ketchup over his head.

He screamed like a girl and I never laughed so hard in my life. From that moment on, we started "punking" each other. And I've loved every minute of it. So, October 31, 1980 stands out as one of the best Halloweens ever.

5 comments:

  1. Too funny. I love it. :) I was chuckling here as I read the post. I know it was suppose to be payback, but did your husband try to get you back again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. He's always pulling pranks. After I smack his shoulder or curse, we usually laugh. And then I get even. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. He's always pulling pranks. After I smack his shoulder or curse, we usually laugh. And then I get even. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes. He's always pulling pranks. After I smack his shoulder or curse, we usually laugh. And then I get even. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes. He's always pulling pranks. After I smack his shoulder or curse, we usually laugh. And then I get even. lol!

    ReplyDelete