Saturday, October 15, 2011

Halloween Romance


To someone interested in the paranormal, this is the best time of year for romance. What girl doesn’t want to fall in love with a vampire or a werewolf? For an author who specializes in paranormal romance, you’d think I’d have any number of romantic Halloween moments I could share with my readers. Sadly, I don’t. My husband’s idea of romance never included goblins or ghouls, unless it involved going to see a horror flick at the theater for our movie night. And thinking back to the many holidays we spent together, I discover that almost every Halloween I spent working. As the Assistant Manager of a bookstore, I worked most holidays to allow the other booksellers who had children time off to spend with their families. After all, kids love Halloween candy, don’t they? And I didn’t have any children of my own at the time. But, I always had fun handing out the candy for Trick or Treat Night at the mall. I loved to see the kids all dressed up in their Halloween costumes! So many creative ideas for costumes! It was so much fun!

 One Halloween night my husband and I spent together was during one of his concerts. My husband’s a singer and bass player in a band called Mystagen. They played out that night and everyone who attended dressed up in costumes. Oh, I love dressing up! And listening to my husband’s sexy deep voice croon out the lyrics to one of my favorite blues tunes he’d written always appeals to the romantic in me. I can always loose myself in his music. And, what a great way to close your eyes and imagine new romance stories while listening!

Honestly, my favorite romantic Halloween memories are deceptively simple. It didn’t even occur to me until I really started thinking about it. Every year the month of October is filled up with ghost programs on television. From haunted mansions, haunted history, haunted celebrities, haunted objects, you name it and it’ll probably air sometime in October. There is nothing I like better on television than watching something to do with ghosts. Syfy’s Ghost Hunters is a favorite with both my husband and me (lucky for us that show is on for more months than just October!). For the last few years, they film a Live Show on Halloween night. To some, this might seem boring, but I absolutely love it! I curl up with my husband and we watch into the wee hours in the morning, searching for any signs of ghosts that Jason, Grant and the rest of the crew may stumble across. This is Halloween romance to me. Watching ghost shows with the one I love!

Tell me, what are some of your most romantic memories of Halloween?

~Tricia Schneider worked at a bookstore for 12 years, 6 of those years as Assistant Manager. Now she writes full-time while raising her three young children. For more information visit her website, Facebook, Twitter or GoodReads or visit The Wild Rose Press to purchase her books.

No comments:

Post a Comment