Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Reasons to be Thankful


Well I didn’t want to write anything too schmaltzy, but it became quite difficult once I started thinking of the things and people I’m thankful for.

I’m grateful that my overbearing – almost to the point of being a control freak – father refused to let me attend dance college full-time when I was sixteen, and also refused to allow me to go to art school. (Two passions of mine are still dance and art – sorry Dad you can’t win ’em all.) But I did get to go to art school a couple of years later ... and I met my husband. If I had gone earlier, I would have actually left the college before he joined, and I’d never have met him. But I'm so thankful I did. Some things happen for a reason.

In a weird way I’m also thankful my husband’s rock band didn’t make the big time, but that’s purely selfish, because I doubt we’d still be together if it had. Although at one point it was almost on the cards, because their keyboard player at the time was Hans Zimmer, who is now very famous, winning Oscars for film scores all over the place. I remember the first time we realised just how famous; we were sitting in a darkened cinema listening to the beautiful score, and up came Hans’ name in ten foot high lettering. It was a Disney film and the exclamation from my husband was definitely not suitable for little ears! Our son repeated the words at horribly inopportune times for quite a while after that.

Which brings me to being thankful for my son – apart from the dirty washing, the sodden towels on the bedroom floor and the general mayhem – all of which returned to the house on his graduation from University last summer. My pregnancy was difficult, with dangerously high blood pressure and many stays in hospital, resulting in an elected caesarean several weeks before the due date. But ... and this is schmaltzy ... I agreed to have the operation with an epidural so I could be awake for my son’s arrival. Me! The biggest coward going. I’m scared of blood tests (way to go for a vampire writer!), frightened of the dentist, and absolutely rigid with abject terror at anything to do with hospitals. Yet I did it, and I’m pleased I did. I am of course, also grateful to the amazing people who helped bring my son safely into the world. Anyone who has had a baby, will know there is nothing so amazing as holding your child in your arms for the very first time. (Although for those who aren’t too keen on the thought of having babies, then holding a newborn kitten would work, and you don’t have to go through months of discomfort and childbirth.)

I couldn’t stop writing without mentioning friends – friends are also something we should all be eternally grateful for. None of us could survive without them. I value my friends and feel thankful for them every day.

Finally then, I am so happy to be published by The Wild Rose Press and I’m grateful to everyone there– especially Callie Lynn – for all the support and hard work it took to get Fledgling in print. Thank you, thank you ... I am so proud I could burst!



No comments:

Post a Comment