Wednesday, September 18, 2013


Author Spotlight: Marianne Willis




Hello, Marianne!  Welcome to the Black Rose Blog’s author spotlight segment. It is great that you could join us today!!!  Help yourself to a comfy chair, some tea or coffee and don't forget the cookies!!!

Tell me about yourself. What makes you angry, happy, sad, snoopy dance?

I’m twenty-six, live in Sydney Australia with my husband, and I write full-time. I’m always joking and laughing with my friends and family. What makes me angry? I must admit I’m not a morning person…instead, I’m a grumpy zombie until I’ve had my coffee. lol

Hmmm... I don't recall zombies in any of your stories but maybe you have some hidden surprises??  I am not a morning person myself so I completely understand!!

How many books have you written?

I’ve written several, but I’ve published two so far with The Wild Rose Press. And who knows what the future holds, maybe I’ll be inspired to write about zombies one day.  

 Your first book Save me Sinfully, was a wonderful wild read.  Definitely one that was hard to put down!!!  

 

What is your favorite vacation? And why?                                             

Recently I went to Italy. I loved meeting family I had never met before, and seeing where my parents grew up. My favorite site was the old fountain where my grandparents first met and fell in love. There was so much personal history, and now I have my own fond memories.

What a wonderful story.  I hope you took a lot of pictures!!!  It is amazing how visiting somewhere can really bring history to life, especially when it is YOUR history. 

What type of stories do you like to write and why?

Paranormal Romance! Vampires, werewolves, witches, and demons…there’s so much potential with these supernatural beings, and I love imagining the type of world they live in.

Oh I agree!!  There is unlimited potential!!  It is wonderful to pick up a book and find a richly crafted world. 

When do you write (daytime, nighttime, on your lunch hour, before the kids get up, after everyone is asleep?  In large chunks of time or stolen snippets?)

Normally during the day, and sometimes at night. But a few times a scene would strike out of nowhere, like when I’m vacuuming, or showering, or cooking. When these moments occur, I rush for a pen and paper, and note down what I saw/heard/felt, so I won’t forget it later.

It is so easy to forget that perfect story idea if we don't stop to write it down.  I have to say though it takes dedication to rush out of the shower.  :)

Where did you get the inspiration for Killer Temptation?  

I always said “I’ll never write a vampire book.” And here I am. Lol. With the hype on vampire books/tv shows I had gotten over it pretty quickly. One morning I was on a public train, on my way to work and day-dreaming (as I usually do). The train had entered a tunnel, and I imagined a blonde woman frightened by a dark, cave-like surrounding, but she was more frightened by the livid man in front of her. That’s how Killer Temptation started, and the first scene I had imagined of Brianna and Tristan is in chapter 5. I couldn’t ignore how much Tristan looked like a vampire. I had to fight with my mind to make him some other supernatural being, but my mind won, and so Tristan remained a vampire.

I for one am glad that your mind won.  Tristan makes one hot and hunky vampire!!

How do you come up with your title and main characters’ names?

I struggle with titles the most and tend to come up with dozens as I write a book. Usually I type several words that relate to the storyline and try to throw two words together and see if it works. For this book, I had sent a group of friends a text with a list of titles and asked them to vote. Character names are much easier, and I find those online baby-name websites really helpful because I can see the name, meaning and origin behind it.

Oh man, I can spend hours lost on those baby name websites.  I start innocently looking and suddenly I'm hundreds of pages in!!!

Do you put pieces of yourself or your life in your stories?

Not really, my characters become their own person with their own struggles. But, sometimes thinking back to a happy or sad moment in my life can help me explain what emotions the character is feeling.

I think that is something that really makes writing come alive, when an author really "feels" what their character is going through.  This in return makes the characters come alive for the reader. 

Why do you write?

To me, writing is breathing. I love losing myself in the world of my characters and sharing their stories. Even if I were to stop writing one day, that would never cease the stories in my mind.

I think that is something only a true writer can understand.  The need to put words on a page or an ending to a story. 

Do you have an upcoming release from the The Wild Rose Press?  You do! Oh please tell us all about itJ

 My story Killer Temptation is the first book in a series called The Bonded. Witches, werewolves, and vampires have fought for centuries, but have now made a peace agreement. To celebrate their truce, the three species meet at an annual gathering each year. Brianna, a human, attends the function with her witchy family, and meets the handsome French Vampire, Tristan Delacroix. Love at first bite quickly turns into hatred when Brianna discovers Tristan murdered her sister. Lust and revenge is something readers can sink their teeth into with Killer Temptation. I’m currently working on book two, which involves other characters readers will meet in this first book.



 

Here’s the blurb to Killer Temptation:

Brianna Johnson did not expect to fall for Tristan Delacroix. But she never thought he would kill her sister either. Despite her feelings for him she must act. With a spell created for deadly revenge, one kiss will end her vampire lover's life...or will it?

From the first bite, Tristan knew Brianna was his moitie --the other half of his soul, his mate. Now that he's tasted her blood no other will do. But how can he capture her heart when she detests him? His time is running out and more than love is on the line.

Confined to his underground city, Brianna must fight the temptations she feels or risk losing not only her loyalty to her family but her heart as well.

I look forward to reading the next chapter :)

Are any of your characters modeled after people you know?  

No, but after I’ve created a character, I’d see an actor or model on TV and think “Wow, he’d make a good Tristan Delacroix” or “She has the same style hair I pictured for Brianna.” I tend to do that with a lot of my characters.

Isn't it funny how you see someone and suddenly think they could totally be your character?  I know I do the same thing when I'm reading a book.

Do you use music as a motivational source when writing?

I sure do. I love listening to a lot of rock songs. Especially Breaking Benjamin, and We are the fallen.

You are much better than I am at multi-tasking!! I would love to listen to music while I am working but as another author pointed out I find myself more involved in singing along then actually working :)

What are some of your favorite things?

Favorite Author – Simone Elkeles

Food – Stir fry noodles

Perfume – Versace, Bright Crystal

 

I’d love to hear from my readers, or anyone who has questions about my work, or writing in general. Feel free to contact me by email at write2marianne@hotmail.com.

 


 

Author Bio:

 

I don't ignore the characters in my mind. Instead, I allow them to show me their story. Writing is my passion and something I immensely enjoy. I live in Sydney, Australia, with my husband. I love hanging out with friends, going to the movies, reading, and spending time with my loud, funny, feed-you-until-you-can't-breathe family.

 

Excerpt:

 

"How old do I look?" he teased, and she was relieved he did not ask her about being adopted.

"At least thirty."

 

"Bon, that's how old I should look. But I am in fact three hundred years old."

 

"Jeepers!" Her gaze danced over his face, searching for a wrinkle, maybe even an age spot. Vampire or not, how could he be three hundred years old and still flawless?

 

One brow rose at her blatant observation. "Is there something on my face?"

 

"Not sure yet."

 

He laughed, encircling her wrist and tugging her close. The scent of labdanum and jasmine filled her nose. "Let me guess yours now...I'd say you are twenty-four."

 

The corner of her mouth quirked upward. "Close, twenty-five."

"Oh, I'm good."

 

"Well, what do you expect after three hundred years of practice?"

 

His lips brushed the sensitive skin of her wrist. "Oui, practice does make perfect."

 

She forced herself to breathe. The deep, foreign acuteness of his tone sank beneath her skin and sent shivers down her spine. She'd never have to worry about zoning out on a conversation with this man. She could listen to him for hours.

His arm wrapped around her waist and tugged her against the warmth of his body. Her insides became molten, fervent to be closer. She wanted to be so close, to all but sink inside him. Why did he make her feel like this? They just met. This wasn't normal! Was it?

 

Blurb:

 

Brianna Johnson did not expect to fall for Tristan Delacroix.  But she never thought he would kill her sister either.  Despite her feelings for him she must act.  With a spell created for deadly revenge, one kiss will end her vampire lover's life...or will it?

 

From the first bite, Tristan knew Brianna was his moitie --the other half of his soul, his mate.  Now that he's tasted her blood no other will do.  But how can he capture her heart when she detests him?  His time is running out and  more than love is on the line.

 

Confined to his underground city, Brianna must fight the temptations she feels or risk losing not only her loyalty to her family but her heart as well.

 

1 comment: